Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the programme, which was announced in September 2017, is now in "mission mode" and seeks to connect around 40 million households. He said the then President of the ruling party went a step ahead and said the government will bring electricity to every home. "Needless to say, none of that happened during their long tenure", said PM Modi.
He said that all villages in India were electrified by April 28, 2018, which is a historic date; adding, it was a pity that after 70 years of independence, people don't have access to electricity. "This was quite unfortunate", Modi said.More news: Watch Theresa May slammed by Tory MP: ‘When did Brexit mean Remain?’
To know about the problems, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday will interact with the beneficiaries of Saubhagya scheme across India, via NAMO app.
Modi alleged that the previous governments did not pay attention to the development of the eastern parts of India. "But, I believe, eastern India can play an even bigger role than it does in India's development journey", he said.More news: Putin Says Summit With President Trump Was a Success
The interaction covered the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana - "Saubhagya" scheme, through video bridge. Ramchandra Bisht, from Tihri in Uttarakhand, said that employment opportunities have increased in their village after electrification. "All this has changed", she said.
A Class IX student from a village in Reasi district in Jammu and Kashmir thanked Modi for his efforts. The Opposition will also press for the Women's Reservation Bill.More news: Spider-Man PS4 Pro and PS4 are simply unbelievable
Prime Minister Modi-led NDA government, through its various electrification programmes, has worked to provide electricity to towns and villages, a claim that the opposition Congress party always questions. However, the government is aiming to energise all these families by 31 December, 2018, under Saubhagya. An additional budgetary support of 15% (5% for special category states) is available if 100% household electrification is achieved by the 31 December target, while all remaining un-electrified households are targeted for electrification by March 2019.
- Man with knife attacks bus passengers in Germany, 10 hurt
- Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in Winnebago County
- Second, Bit Larger Samsung Galaxy Watch Stops by FCC
- "The Walking Dead" Season 9 Trailer Pretells Death & Adversity
- Alisson Becker Joins Liverpool From Roma In Reported Record Transfer
- Trump Threatens Tariffs on $500 Bln of Chinese Imports
- Fortnite Celebrates First Birthday With New Limited Time Event
- Short Treks: CBS All Access Orders Star Trek: Discovery Spin-off
- Modi tweets on today’s No Confidence Motion
- Russian Military Tests Putin's 'Invincible' Hypersonic Missiles