Investigators want to know whether two children bitten on Wednesday in the waters off NY beaches were attacked by sharks.
Islip Town Supervisor Angie Carpenter says a 13-year-old boy, who was at a town-run camp, was bitten while on a boogie board off Atlantique. The boy "stumbled out of the water" into a lifeguard tent, where the lifeguard dressed puncture wounds, officials said.
One puncture contained a tooth that was removed for testing to determine its origin. Although his daughter was able to walk after the attack, she was also taken to an area hospital.More news: Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, Indianapolis to host Final Four from 2023-26
The girl, identified at a news conference with her parents afterward as Lola Pollina, said she was standing in waist-deep water at Sailors Haven beach in nearby Brookhaven, 3km east of Islip, when she was bitten. No further information was immediately available.
The victims - a 12-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy - were discharged after emergency medical treatment, each with a bandaged right leg, and both are expected to fully recover.
"I saw something, like, next to me, and I kind of felt pain, and looked and I saw a fin", she said, recounting how she realised her leg was "all bloody".More news: Corning introduces Gorilla Glass 6
"They confirmed that not only was it a shark bite, but they found one of the teeth still inside the boy".
"Once we figured it out it was pretty surreal", he said.
Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo released a statement saying he had deployed DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos to lead a multi-agency investigation into the possible shark attacks. State police sent a drone into the air to search the waters for sharks, according to George Gorman, Long Island deputy regional director of the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.More news: Microsoft Is Teasing 'All-New Xbox Hardware' For Gamescom 2018
Newsday reports police are investigating the incidents Wednesday off Sailors Haven and Atlantique beaches. Swimmers were allowed back into the water around 2:30 p.m. when the sighting was deemed to be a sandbar shark.
- Vote Leave fined and referred to police over referendum spending
- Meghan's dad fears she is 'hiding behind smile of pain'
- Husband and wife's trapeze act goes horribly wrong on 'America's Got Talent'
- Israel adopts controversial Jewish nation-state law
- Vegas Now Considers Raptors Favorite to Land Kawhi Leonard
- Google’s Bringing Back Google Now (Sort of) Inside Assistant
- France's World Cup winners given heroes' welcome in Paris
- Syria accuses Israel of attacking military position
- Facebook's Content Moderation is Under Fire in Undercover Report
- Jupiter's Moon Total Hits 79