In the second quarter previous year, it added 5.2 million - 1.1 million United States subscribers and 4.1 million global ones. That may seem impressive at first glance, but it's more than 1 million fewer subscribers than what the streaming giant was anticipating. The stock is now down by over 13%, after it significantly missed subscriber targets.
Well to many adding 4.47 million subscribers and hitting a new all-time high in subscribers sounds great to wall street they wanted to see a higher subscriber count.More news: Rooney ‘delighted’ with win in debut, hopes for more game time
Netflix's subscriber numbers are seen as a bellwether of its fortunes.
Netflix's stock fell almost 14% after its earnings report. Nonetheless, it's not all doom and gloom for Netflix.
Revenue: $3.91 billion. Analysts were expecting $3.94 billion. The 112 Netflix nominations include five best series and best limited series nominations and are spread across 40 different scripted and unscripted series, TV movies, limited series, documentaries, talk shows, comedy specials and series for kids. This is a testament to the fantastic creators we work with across all forms of television.More news: 13 injured after lava flies through roof of Hawaii tour boat
Netflix's explosive growth may be starting to plateau.
"After four consecutive quarters of beating its own guidance, and analysts' expectations on key metrics such as revenues, profits, and subscriber gains, Netflix disappointed with a weak Q2", said eMarketer principal analyst Paul Verna.More news: Roku's wireless speakers are just for its TVs
- Uber Announces New Tools for Tricky Pickups
- USA launches WTO challenge against Canada's tariffs
- Maria Butina: Feds charge Russian national for acting as covert Kremlin agent
- Cyber threat warnings 'blinking red' for US national security says intelligence official
- North Koreans Finally Meet with US General on Return of Troop Remains
- Donald Trump praises Queen as ‘beautiful’ in Piers Morgan interview
- Rusty's Forecast - Evening storms diminishing, cooler weekend ahead
- Mysterious burns on teen's face caused by brush with toxic plant
- Amazon's much-hyped Prime Day runs into snags swiftly
- Former Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams has 'explosive' thrown at his home