After five straight quarters of meeting or exceeding analyst expectations for subscriber growth, Netflix finally fell short, disappointing Wall Street.
Image Netflix is facing growing competition from global tech rivals and traditional providers
The company called its performance in the second quarter "strong but not stellar".More news: Girl, 7, killed on interstate after walking away from crash
The news of just 5.2 million total subscriber adds was especially pointed for Wall Street given Netflix's addition of 7.4 million in the first quarter, well ahead of the 6.5 million projected then. The streaming-video company reported Monday that it added 5.2 million new members between April and June, a million fewer customers than it had previously forecast. For Q3, it projects 650,000 net adds in the USA and 4.35 million overseas. Analysts surveyed by Zacks had expected revenue of $4.14 billion. Analysts had projected revenue of $3.94 billion.More news: How Long Is Amazon Prime Day?
The company did roughly meet analyst expectations on earnings, at $3.91 billion compared to estimates of $3.94 billion. Global subscriber net additions are projected at 4.35 million, again, below the average 5.095 million. All told, Netflix now boasts upwards of 130 million subscribers across the globe.More news: Porte crashes out of Tour de France
Netflix's explosive growth may be starting to plateau. The reason behind this is that Netflix is now has a free cash flow of negative $559 million meaning they once again spent more in the second quarter of 2018 than they made. For the first time, Netflix generated more revenue outside the U.S.: worldwide revenue totaled $1.92 billion and U.S. revenue was $1.89 billion for Q2. The company also said "HBO and Disney are evolving to focus on internet entertainment services", while Amazon and Apple are investing in content as part of larger "ecosystem subscriptions". "Our strategy is to simply keep improving, as we've been doing every year in the past".
- European Union issues warning to avoid trade 'conflict and chaos'
- 13 injured after lava flies through roof of Hawaii tour boat
- Theresa May reveals Donald Trump urged her to sue the European Union
- Doctor Who season 11 first trailer is finally here!
- USA launches WTO challenge against Canada's tariffs
- President Trump Sides With Putin At Historic Summit
- Amazon Prime Day starts with technical glitches
- Croatians give heroes´ welcome to World Cup squad
- Ninth resignation as Brexiteers heap pressure on Theresa May
- Uber Announces New Tools for Tricky Pickups