The Mississippi State Department of Health announced the state's first confirmed West Nile Virus case of 2018 Thursday.
The results for the second crow came back positive four days later.
The case was reported in late June in Hinds County.
The state has upped its aerial spraying and mosquito fog trucks to deal with the increased mosquito activity.More news: Boys rescued from Thai cave to be discharged from hospital next week
Symptoms of West Nile include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, rash, muscle weakness and swollen lymph nodes.
When possible, wear long sleeved shirts and trousers to protect from bites.
Prevent mosquitoes from breeding by removing stagnant water from items around your property, such as tin cans, plastic containers, flower pots, discarded tires, roof gutters, and downspouts.
Those outside between dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active, should wear shoes, socks, long trousers and long-sleeved shirts, and apply insect repellents that includes DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus to exposed skin.More news: Jabari Parker agrees to 2-year, $40 million deal with Bulls
In 2017, MS reported 63 West Nile cases and two deaths. "And also make sure you empty or change the outdoor standing water because those are areas that breed mosquitoes".
An effective repellent will contain DEET, picardin or lemon eucalyptus oil.
Keep mosquitoes from laying eggs inside and outside of your home. "So they wind up with more exposure so more mosquitoes biting more birds spreading the virus if either the birds or the mosquitoes are infected".
Check window and door screens so mosquitoes can not enter the home. Among people who develop these serious symptoms approximately one in 10 will die, according to the CDC.More news: On eve of Russian Federation summit, Trump calls European Union 'a foe'
Effective EEE and West Nile vaccines are available for horses through veterinarians, according to the Delaware Department of Agriculture's State Veterinarian's Office.
- Trump disses 'fake news' CNN in joint press conference with May
- Ford Mustang to drive itself up Goodwood hillclimb
- Johnson & Johnson ordered to pay billions in talc cancer case
- Social media reacts to France’s World Cup win
- Stormy Daniels Speaks Out After Getting Arrested at an Ohio Strip Club
- Ghost particles from outer space: Scientists discover distant source of neutrinos
- OnePlus Gallery Update Brings OnePlus 6 Video Editing Features to Older Models
- Oil rises but declines for the week as supply concerns ease
- Comcast raises Sky offer to $34 bn
- 3 reasons to love the Channing Frye signing