As a candidate for president, Donald Trump said he opposed the deal, say it would be "too much concentration of power in the hands of too few". AT&T completed its acquisition of Time Warner on June 14 and formed WarnerMedia a day later.
During the trial, the DOJ argued the vertical merger, a merger between two companies in the same industry but at different stages of the business, would reduce competition and hurt consumers by allowing the company to have greater control in negotiations with programmers.More news: Trump Attacks CNN, NBC in Joint Press Conference With British Prime Minister
The appeal could be seen as a warning sign for companies that have pursued their own mergers in the wake of Leon's decision, Kimmelman added. It was the first time in decades the government had challenged that doctrine by suing to block a vertical merger.
David McAtee, AT&T's general counsel, said the company is "ready to defend" the judge's decision. The transition to streaming services, away from traditional cable, is one that's costing pay TV companies millions of subscribers and billions in revenue every year.
This fuelled speculation that Trump could be retaliating due to critical coverage of his administration from news broadcaster CNN, which was part of Time Warner.More news: Milwaukee Bucks Forward Jabari Parker Hosts Pickup Game In Local Park
Leon had sharply urged the Justice Department not to seek a stay of his ruling, saying it would be "manifestly unjust" to do so and not likely to succeed.
It has committed to certain conditions under which it will run Time Warner's Turner Broadcasting, which includes CNN.More news: Sharif loyalists arrested as former PM returns to appeal conviction
Federal lawyers contended that the combined company would be too large and powerful, allowing it to run roughshod over other players in the entertainment and media world and to hike prices on consumers.
- WHERE ARE THEY Now? The 1998 World Cup Winning France Team
- Martin seizes opportunity as top guns lose ground
- Russian Federation ready to invest up to $50bn in Iran's oil sector
- Sprint jacks up the price for two new unlimited data plans
- Chelsea sack Antonio Conte 7 hours ago
- British divers not heroes, just relieved, after rescue
- Create on the go: Photoshop coming to iPad
- Co-pilot tried to hide e-cigarette smoke, sparked mid-air emergency instead
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 multiplayer and Blackout beta dates announced
- Wimbledon Mens Singles Day 12: Djokovic value against tired Nadal