The show about noble families vying for the Iron Throne faces a tough challenge from perennial favorite comedy sketch show "Saturday Night Live" and HBO stablemate "Westworld" with 21 nominations each. Jessica Biel (The Sinner), Penelope Cruz (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story), John Legend (Jesus Christ, Superstar), Ricky Martin (The Assassination of Gianni Versace) and Katt Williams (Atlanta) are all first-time nominees this year. Keep reading to find out all the lucky stars who were nominated for the 2018 Emmys.
"TBS bravely put a woman over 45 on TV and in turn I only got yelled at by the president once", she said in a statement. She added a postscript: "I think my mother at this moment may actually be satisfied". And among that basketful is yet another nomination for Dinklage, who just picked up another nod for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Tyrion during Season 7.More news: 2nd semifinal starts under roof at Wimbledon
It was a deep year of nominations for minority performers, who accounted for over one-third of Thursday's acting nominees.
The fantasy dragons-and-swords saga, which already has 38 Emmys under its belt, is not expected back on screens until next year.More news: Russian Federation ready to invest up to $50bn in Iran's oil sector
Other streaming services also received nominations for their originals, including Hulu with 27 nominations, with The Handmaid's Tale defending its Best Drama award this year.
Rhys and Brown will be up against Brown's castmate Milo Ventimiglia, along with Jason Bateman for "Ozark" and Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright for "Westworld".
Top of the Lake: China Girl, shot in Sydney, also missed out in other categories, including best limited TV series, while lead actress Elisabeth Moss failed to earn a nomination. That's more nominations for Best Supporting Actor than anyone in history!More news: Donald Trump visibly annoyed by question over incendiary Brexit comments
- Martin seizes opportunity as top guns lose ground
- 128 dead following blast at Pakistan election rally
- Blockbusters in Alaska set to close; 1 store left in US
- Brock Lesnar’s Return Match Known, Confirmed For Next Month’s ‘SummerSlam’
- Chris Froome is thrilled to close gap on his Tour rivals
- WHERE ARE THEY Now? The 1998 World Cup Winning France Team
- Chelsea sack Antonio Conte 7 hours ago
- Donald Trump again says he’s a ‘very stable genius’ at North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit
- Jose Mourinho stresses cause for English optimism after Russian Federation 2018 campaign
- SC slams Centre for 'lethargy' over protection of Taj Mahal