Twitter locks accounts when it detects "sudden changes in account behavior", like tweeting a large volume of unsolicited replies or mentions - in other words, signs that it's engaging in spam or bot-like activity.
If your account has been locked during Twitter's purge, it will remain in the same state unless the owner validates the account and resets the password.
The most popular accounts have more than 100 million followers, and Donald Trump is far down the list with 53.1 million.More news: Barcelona confirm €35.9m Clement Lenglet capture from Sevilla
Twitter announced on Wednesday that users would see a drop in their follower accounts on Thursday as the company clamped down on "problematic" and "fake" accounts. As per the latest figures on Rahul Gandhi's Twitter account, around 7.22 million Twitter users are following the young leader.
Uhuru, who is the most followed Kenyan on Twitter, had 3,234,935 followers as of July 12 but lost 16,071 of them in the purge.
"Follower counts are a visible feature, and we want everyone to have confidence that the numbers are meaningful and accurate".
Twitter said it had taken the decision due to its "ongoing and global effort to build trust".More news: Putin hosts aide to Iran's supreme leader amid Syria talks
"As a result, the number of followers displayed on many profiles may go down".
The drop in the follower count, however, has nothing to do with popularity of the Modi government. "We understand this may be hard for some, but we believe accuracy and transparency make Twitter a more trusted service for public conversation", Vijaya Gadde, Twitter's Legal, Policy and Trust & Safety Lead, said in a blog post.
Well, it is now happening and people have started noticing the drop in follower accounts. Shah Rukh Khan lost nearly 3.5 lakh followers (35.7 million) while Amitabh Bachchan registered an even bigger loss, at over 4 lakh (34.5 million).
While BJP President Amit Shah was left poorer by 33,363 followers, Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has lost 91,555 followers.More news: Trump rattles North Atlantic Treaty Organisation , knocking its value and assailing Germany
- Tesla loses United States subsidies as it hits 200,000 sales mark
- Nuggets sign Isaiah Thomas
- Put The Honey Smacks Down, CDC Warns After Salmonella Outbreak
- In Egypt discovered mysterious giant sarcophagus head
- Ford's campaign promises laid out in Throne speech
- Antonio Conte’s Chelsea Departure Looks Set To Turn Ugly
- China trade surplus with U.S. hits historic high & timing couldn’t be worse
- British man poisoned with Novichok is no longer in critical condition - hospital
- Cate Shortland to direct Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ solo movie
- Trump meets Theresa May, promptly says Boris Johnson would be ‘great PM’