That's because the streaming giant put an end to the premium cable channel's 17-year streak of garnering the most total nominations. The last time there were three freshman series in the top comedy category was 2010 (Modern Family, Glee and Nurse Jackie).
The top comedy nominee is Donald Glover's Atlanta, with 16.More news: India women's cricket coach Arothe resigns
The nominations for the 70th Primetime Emmys showed a clear sign of how much the ground is shifting in the TV industry as streaming service Netflix captured the most nominations overall taking away a title that HBO held since 2001.
Hit PLAY on the video above to watch the Emmy nominations announced live, then drop a comment with your thoughts on the nominees below. Meanwhile, newcomer Godless and comedy blowout GLOW also helped Netflix's numbers soar with 12 and 10 nominations apiece.More news: Margot Robbie And Saoirse Ronan Clash In 'Mary Queen Of Scots' Trailer
One show that stars a pair of local natives and has been nominated in the past was shut out in every major category. "We're grateful to all our nominees for making this the eighth year we've had 100 nominations or more". It was followed by NBC's CMSCA.O sketch show "Saturday Night Live" and HBO's sci-fi series "Westworld" with 21 nominations each, and Hulu's dystopian vision "The Handmaid's Tale" with 20. If he wins, he will earn the coveted EGOT, having previously won a Grammy, Oscar, and Tony.
HBO's fantasy dragons-and-swords saga is a two-time best drama victor that sat out the last year's awards because of its production schedule. Yvonne Strahovski, Alexis Bledel, and Ann Dowd are all nominated for Supporting Actress, and Joseph Fiennes is nominated for Supporting Actor.More news: UK slips further down global broadband league table
Although it's up for top series honors, it drew only three supporting acting bids for cast members Lena Headey, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Peter Dinklage. "Everybody from the composer to the makeup people to everyone, so it's such a team effort".
- Trade Rumor: Yankees Reportedly In On Manny Machado
- Microsoft counters Slack with a free version of Teams
- Sign deal to lift ban
- AHS warns Calgarians about the risk of West Nile Virus
- Federation Internationale de Football Association warns broadcasters about focusing on 'hot women'
- Judge: Experts can testify that Roundup linked to cancer
- 14 national forest recreational areas across Taiwan closed during Typhoon Maria reopened
- Donald Trump slams Theresa May's Brexit negotiations in United Kingdom interview
- North Koreans Miss Meeting About US Soldier Remains
- The 5 Biggest Snubs of the MLB All-Star Game