The Russian spy-turned action hero gets her first standalone movie after supporting roles in a slew of superhero films including The Avengers and Captain America franchises.More news: Thailand cave: Museum and movie in the works for Tham Luang
Johansson reportedly recommended the director because she liked Shortland's World War II drama Lore, (2012) about a teenage girl who leads her four siblings to safety after their parents' disappearance. Last month that search managed to narrow things down to a key group of frontrunners who included Shortland, Amma Asante (Belle), Maggie Betts (Novitiate), Melanie Laurent (Galveston), and Kimberly Pierce (Boys Don't Cry). The character has a tortured past, she's had to make a lot of hard decisions.
Shortland's appointment on Black Widow follows New Zealander Taika Waititi's move into the Hollywood mainstream.
Best known for her 2014 film Lore, the Australian-born director has also directed 2004's Somersalt and 2017's The Berlin Syndrome.More news: Trump meets Theresa May, promptly says Boris Johnson would be ‘great PM’
Black Widow is a key member of the Avengers and her character is deserving of her own film.
The script was penned by Jac Schaeffer, writer of the upcoming women-centric reimagining of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels titled Nasty Women. Widow, along with all of the core Avengers (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and presumably Hawkeye) survived the events of that film and are all expected to be seen in next summer's still-untitled Avengers 4.More news: Canada To Lead NATO Training Mission In Iraq
- Put The Honey Smacks Down, CDC Warns After Salmonella Outbreak
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation survives Trump, but the turmoil is leaving scars
- British man poisoned with Novichok is no longer in critical condition - hospital
- Trumps kick off United Kingdom visit with black-tie gala
- Tesla loses United States subsidies as it hits 200,000 sales mark
- Giant 20ft Donald Trump baby balloon takes flight in London
- Netflix Topples HBO in Emmy Nominations
- Now-Hurricane Chris Poses Possible Threat to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland-Labrador
- Trump rattles North Atlantic Treaty Organisation , knocking its value and assailing Germany
- Dan Martin powers to Tour stage victory