The USTR will accept public comments on the latest round of tariffs and hold hearings August 20-23 before reaching a decision after August 31, according to a senior US official who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity.
China formally responded to the latest USA move on Wednesday, with a Chinese Ministry of Commerce spokesperson calling it "unacceptable".More news: Roger Federer loses five-set match to Kevin Anderson
China Daily said in an editorial that Beijing had to stand up to Washington.
Global investors have mostly looked past the intensifying trade fight between the US and China, even as the countries move to deploy tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars in goods.
The President imposed steel and aluminum tariffs on these countries, and has threatened to hit them with levies on imported cars and trucks. The administration says its tariffs are created to punish China for what it calls unfair trade practices, theft of intellectual property, and "forced technology transfers".
In an April Twitter post, Trump said this allowed China to "get tremendous perks and advantages, especially over the US".More news: Drake Replaces DJ Khaled at Wireless Festival in London
As a leading grain trader in these regions, Cofco could help to meet domestic demand, he said.
China can increase soybean imports from other countries to reduce its reliance on the United States, the boss of a state-owned grain trader said on Wednesday.
"Concerns over trade and trade wars are really having an adverse effect, less so on the USA markets than the worldwide markets, but it is certainly taking a bite".
"The President has broken his promise to bring 'maximum pain on China, minimum pain on consumers, ' and American families are the ones being punished", Hun Quach, RILA VP of worldwide trade, said in a statement. US crude oil futures settled down 5 percent on the trade dispute escalation and as expectations of growing supplies increased on news that Libya would reopen ports. The tariffs could raise the price of everything from baseball gloves to handbags to digital cameras just voters are heading to the polls. "It will also result in retaliatory tariffs, further hurting American workers", a Chamber spokeswoman said.
Republican U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan accused China of unfair trade practices but added, "I don't think tariffs are the right way to go".More news: Wimbledon 2018 -- Men's quarterfinal matches
- Charlotte Tells Photographer He's 'Not Coming' To Louis' Christening
- Theresa May presses on with Brexit plan after high-profile resignations
- Michael Ondaatje’s The English Patient wins the Golden Booker Prize
- Kevin Anderson didn't know he would face Roger Federer at Wimbledon
- Cardi B has given birth and her child's name is absolutely BONKERS
- UCLA's Billy Knight Allegedly Sexually Abused 9-Year-Old Girl Before Death
- How tall is Jordan Pickford? England goalkeeper's height in feet revealed
- Trump administration threatens tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese imports
- Croatia vs. England, Semifinals
- USA woman killed in Mexico City shooting