Finally deciding to change his life, the Guinness World Record holder (for the "longest fingernails on a single hand") flew to NY to seek aid from a doctor.
Mr Chillal said he did not take the decision to part ways with his nails lightly.
Ironically, the nails now on public display came about after a 14-year-old Chillal accidentally broke a very long nail his teacher had grown.
Shridhar Chillal, an octogenarian from India, had the world's longest fingernails measuring over 9 metres!More news: Elon Musk showed at Thai cave rescue despite his 'impractical' sub
"But when I realised that after cutting my nails, my nails will be at Ripley's Believe It or Not! and they're going to maintain it very nicely and for a lifetime, then I felt like I was doing the right decision and that's why I chose to cut my nails".
Shridhar's nails will now be displayed at Ripley's Believe It or Not! in Times Square. His longest nail was on his thumb.
His nails will be on display for all to see at Ripley's Believe It or Not! in Times Square. "Mr. Chillal dedicated his life to something truly remarkable and Ripley's is the ideal home to honor his legacy", said Suzanne Smagala-Potts, a Ripley's representative. Ripley's has flown Chillal from India to the United States to cut his nails and forever memorialise them in a Ripley's Believe It or Not! museum.
Chillal's decision to finally let go of his 66-year-old nails could have been influenced by the level of care required to maintain them.More news: LA woman held for July 4 beating of elderly man
"I can't move much, so every half an hour or so I wake up and move my hand to the other side of the bed", he told Guinness World Records in 2015.
The world's longest fingernails have been cut. "I never have to wait in a queue", he said.
Despite his abnormally long nails: Chillal got married, had two kids, and worked as a government press photographer.More news: Iranian Woman Arrested Over Dancing Video
- Vertonghen 'gutted' after semi-final loss
- Papa John's founder reportedly used racial slur during conference call
- London awaits Trump's visit, braces for protests
- Phil Mickelson breaks rules again, this time at Greenbrier
- Lawyer for porn star Stormy Daniels says she was arrested
- Marcus Rashford's heartfelt message to Gareth Southgate after England World Cup heartbreak
- US Ambassador Plays Down Donald Trump's "Turmoil" Comment
- Oil rallies as IEA warns of output capacity limits
- Google updates Inbox app to be compatible with the iPhone X notch
- Israel's reinforced blockade on Gaza highlight of dailies — Newspapers Review