Phil Mickelson watches his tee shot on the 12th hole during the third round of the Military Tribute at The Greenbrier golf tournament in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., on Saturday.
Perhaps the most impressive thing on Sunday, though, is that Mickelson recognized the rule violation himself - even though nobody else did and likely wouldn't have ever called him on it.More news: Lawyer for porn star Stormy Daniels says she was arrested
Watching the miscue, it looks like an innocent enough mistake, and Phil was quick to consult a rules official after realizing what he had done. He then called a two-stroke penalty on himself for improving his line of play.
While he was never really in contention at The Greenbrier, all eyes were on the lefty after his rule-breaking debacle at the U.S. Open almost a month ago when he hit his ball while it was still moving on the green out of frustration.More news: Papa John's founder reportedly used racial slur during conference call
At A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier on Sunday, Phil's mistake seemed much more innocent, with Mickelson saying that he "wasn't really thinking" regarding the gaffe. I'm embarrassed and disappointed by my actions.
Mickelson came in for significant criticism during the year's second major when he chose to putt a moving ball, seemingly in protest at the speed of the greens at Shinnecock Hills, and earned a two-shot penalty. Mickelson made a double bogey on the hole to go from 3 under at the time and 11 strokes behind the leaders to 1 under and 13 back.More news: Erdogan Sworn in for Second Term as Turkish President
- Google updates Inbox app to be compatible with the iPhone X notch
- ‘Catch and release’ immigration policy Trump abhorred is back in effect
- LA woman held for July 4 beating of elderly man
- Political Commentator Continues TV Interview, Unfazed by Cat Jumping on His Head
- Trump lashes Germany over Russian Federation deal
- Vertonghen 'gutted' after semi-final loss
- "Don't Look Back In Anger" - England fans' emotional praise following Croatia defeat
- Prince Harry tells off young boy for pulling wife Meghan Markle’s hair
- Israel's reinforced blockade on Gaza highlight of dailies — Newspapers Review
- Oil rallies as IEA warns of output capacity limits