Ken Giles is being sent down to the Minors. The Astros are recalling left-handed pitcher Cionel Perez from Double-A Corpus Christi in a corresponding move. As manager AJ Hinch came to the mound to remove him, Giles appeared to curse Hinch out, saying, "F- you man".
After serving as the closer on the Astros' World Series-winning team a year ago, Giles has struggled mightily in 2018. He was taken out of the game after allowing three singles, including an RBI single, cutting into the Astros' lead, 4-1. Giles was replaced by Hector Rondon, and the A's tied the game.More news: France advance to 2018 World Cup final
Houston went on to win Tuesday night's game 6-5 in 11 innings. He tallied 12 saves in 34 games pitched, but lost his role as a closer last month. Nearly more memorable than that was Giles punching himself in the face after giving up four runs to the Yankees in the ninth inning on May 2.
The demotion comes as Giles' poor season continues.More news: Giant crocodile captured in Australia to stop it going to town
Giles was traded to the Astros in December 2015 in exchange for pitchers Vince Velasquez, Tom Eshelman, and Brett Oberholtzer, as well as outfielder Derek Fisher.More news: Trump administration threatens tariffs on another $200 billion in Chinese imports
- Gary Neville hails England for exceeding expectations despite World Cup heartbreak
- Husband dies on honeymoon after colliding with wife on zip line
- Cornwall woman takes vehicle for accidental, two-week joyride
- Trump Announces New Taxes on TVs and Air Conditioners
- UCLA's Billy Knight Allegedly Sexually Abused 9-Year-Old Girl Before Death
- Redskins Pick Cornerback Adonis Alexander In 2018 Supplemental Draft
- Fox Shareholder Files Lawsuit To Halt Proposed Disney Acquisition
- Former Apple employee charged with stealing trade secrets
- How tall is Jordan Pickford? England goalkeeper's height in feet revealed
- Twitter Reacts to Kylie Jenner Becoming the Youngest Self-Made Billionaire