The incident took place as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited Moscow to stress to Russian President Vladimir Putin that Israel will not tolerate an Iranian military presence in Syria.
"We know about your concerns, let's have a thorough talk about them", Putin told Netanyahu before reporters were asked to leave the room. Maybe he thinks there is a unique chance to end the Golan dispute in exchange for supporting the Assad regime regain control over the whole of Syria.More news: Instagram Model Katarina Zarutskie Savaged by Shark During Bahamas Vacation
Russian officials had no immediate comment on the meeting. In the past, Putin has turned a blind eye to Israeli strikes on Iranian and Hezbollah targets in Syria while making clear Russian Federation does not want Assad's rule endangered.
A Syrian drone infiltrated Israeli airspace Wednesday and was shot down by a Patriot missile fired by IDF aerial defense units in the north of Israel. The interception set off sirens on the Golan and nearby Jordanian border.
The IDF decried the infiltration as a violation of Israeli sovereignty. He added that the latter scenario was "not common".More news: Drake Replaces DJ Khaled at Wireless Festival in London
Israel has been on high alert as Damascus forces advance on rebels in the vicinity of the Golan, much of which Israel captured from Syria in 1967 and annexed in a move not recognised internationally. The United Nations last month renewed the mandate of its Golan observer force UNDOF and on Wednesday called on all parties to abide by the armistice.
Media reports suggested that at Monday's meeting in Helsinki, Putin and Trump could reach a deal that would envisage the deployment of Syrian government forces alongside the frontier with the Israeli-held side of the Golan Heights and the withdrawal of Iranian forces and their proxy Hezbollah militia from the area.
"Their use of military force in Syria would inevitably lead to an escalation of tensions across the entire Middle East region", he said.More news: Paul Manafort treated like a 'VIP' in prison, court documents show
However, despite the major regional and worldwide transformations, he skeptically said: "They are relying on Putin in Israel". Netanyahu's government has made clear it would not now cede the Golan and has been lobbying for USA recognition of Israel's claim of sovereignty there.
- Bluster aside, US and China vulnerable to pain from tariffs
- Croatia vs. England, Semifinals
- How tall is Jordan Pickford? England goalkeeper's height in feet revealed
- England - World Cup - 12 July 2018
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit: Trump urges members urged to double defence spending
- Trump Announces New Taxes on TVs and Air Conditioners
- Central bank hikes rate, predicts modest overall impact from US tariff fight
- England nowhere near their potential, says manager Gareth Southgate
- Mural of Russia Coach Defaced, Restored After World Cup Loss
- Twitter Reacts to Kylie Jenner Becoming the Youngest Self-Made Billionaire