One firefighter died and several others were injured Tuesday in a gas explosion that tore through a small Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, business district, shooting up a plume of orange flames and white smoke and blowing wood and concrete debris across half a city block.
The explosion happened on Tuesday around 6:20 p.m.at the intersection of Main and Bristol Streets after police were called to the area for a gas leak.
SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. (AP) - A police lieutenant in a suburb of Madison, Wisconsin, says no deaths have been reported after an explosion rocked the downtown area but that authorities will be searching buildings. Witnesses reported the powerful blast about 7:15 p.m.
Sun Prairie Fire Chief Christopher Garrison said the firefighter who was killed had served more than 10 years with the department.
According to a GoFundMe account, Barr was 34-years-old.More news: Serena Williams vs Julia Goerges, Wimbledon 2018 semi-final
Firefighters from Sun Prairie and surrounding communities are responding to the blaze. He says some civilians suffered minor injuries but none needed to be hospitalized.
"They were not doing work on our behalf", Schulze said.
Posted July 11, 2018, 5:05 a.m.
He and wife Abby have twin girls.
The fire department said that following a search of the area there are no missing people following the blast, which caused "significant damage" to five buildings- Barr House, Glass Nickel Pizza, the Professional Building, Water Tower Chophouse and a residential home.More news: Second arrest made in murder of rapper XXXTentacion
"People were scrambling", said Owen, who lives above his shop.
The Red Cross assisted evacuees at a shelter set up at Sun Prairie High School. He said the building across from his shop "literally lifted up".
He said the force knocked him back in his chair and that he ran outside and saw a ball of fire.
Jill Thompson, 56, who lives about two blocks away, said she saw smoke immediately after the blast occurred. "I don't think his legacy is going to be forgotten, and I think the spirit that he embodies is essentially the spirit of Sun Prairie, and Sun Prairie's going to get through this as a community".More news: Best Scottish Twitter reactions to England’s exit from the World Cup
- Fulham enter talks with Nice over Jean Michael Seri
- US President Donald Trump arrives in United Kingdom for four-day visit
- Korea approves rare screening of N. Korea films
- Miami man with no arms charged with stabbing Chicago tourist
- Trump arrives United Kingdom for first State visit
- The elusive Magic Leap AR headset is powered by Nvidia's Tegra X2
- 'American Idiot' could top United Kingdom charts in time for Trump visit
- Flood in Japan: the number of victims has risen to 179
- Thailand cave rescue to be turned into Hollywood movie
- Guendouzi: Arsenal was an easy decision