The former Southampton man has had a lot of unnecessary flak in recent times, including a whole lot of abuse on social media after he had an absolute stinker in a 4-1 defeat to Spurs at Wembley.
It followed an uncertain start to the season when Liverpool's defence was constantly identified as a weak link.
The England central defender has seen his stock rise no end after a magnificent World Cup where his performances have helped his country to the last four of the tournament. "We couldn't control the ball or control situations", said Lovren. In extra-time we showed that we are still able with the fatigue to play our game.
"It's not just the English press, I am talking about the criticism from the beginning".More news: Phil Mickelson breaks rules again, this time at Greenbrier
"Sometimes it is unfair".
"Without being arrogant, I think I have proved to be one of the best defenders in the world". Now with my national team we are in the final.
"I really don't understand these questions, always looking back to where I made some mistakes", he said. At the 1998 World Cup, they exited at the semi-final stage to France. We beat our record of 20 years ago and we had it on our shoulders all the time, this weight.More news: Fortnite Season 5 Is Here With Tonnes of New Content
"England are one of the favourites to win the World Cup and you have to respect that", he said.
But after the break, Croatia took control, equalised through Ivan Perisic and then won the game with Mario Mandzukic's extra-time strike.
"The difference was mental - because we knew we could write history and we did it".More news: LA woman held for July 4 beating of elderly man
- New tariffs readied for Chinese goods
- Erdogan Sworn in for Second Term as Turkish President
- Political Commentator Continues TV Interview, Unfazed by Cat Jumping on His Head
- Iranian Woman Arrested Over Dancing Video
- Love Island SPOILER: Samira quits to reunite with Frankie
- Lawyer for porn star Stormy Daniels says she was arrested
- "Don't Look Back In Anger" - England fans' emotional praise following Croatia defeat
- Vertonghen 'gutted' after semi-final loss
- 'A great meeting': Trump wants North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies to double defence spending
- Trump lashes Germany over Russian Federation deal