The Algerian, who insisted he is relishing the fight for a first-team berth under Pep Guardiola, believes City can go all the way in Europe.
"At all the big clubs there are great players", Mahrez said. The Champions League is for big clubs and Manchester City are a big club.
Mahrez, who was named the CAF African Footballer of the Year in 2016 after lifting the Premier League title with Leicester City in the 2015/16 campaign, made 179 appearances for the Foxes, scoring 48 goals and assisting another 38 strikes.More news: Chelsea strike gentlemen's agreement with Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri
"It's a club which wants to win the Champions League".
"City have ambition to go further than the Champions League quarter-finals like they did last season". I want to be part of this.
Mahrez said: "The prices have been very big in every country so it doesn't affect me".
However, he is fully aware that he faces a significant battle to get into the starting line-up, with competition from Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva for the wide roles. Everyone can improve and you can improve the squad. I thought what City did previous year was awesome, it was unbelievable to break all those Premier League records, but I am confident about myself.More news: Trump Says U.S. Allies Agree to Raise NATO Defense Spending
"He's a big manager who won a lot of things and made history at this club". They broke all the records in the Premier League, which is unbelievable. "If I'd moved sooner maybe I wouldn't have been happy, I don't know".
"I am very happy to be here and to have signed to this club".
Mahrez also heaped praise on England after they were knocked out of the World Cup by Croatia on Wednesday night.More news: Miami man with no arms charged with stabbing Chicago tourist
- Korea approves rare screening of N. Korea films
- Best Scottish Twitter reactions to England’s exit from the World Cup
- Multivitamins may not prevent cardiovascular diseases, says study
- EBay throws shade at Amazon ahead of Prime Day
- ‘Game of Thrones’ leads Emmys field with 22 nominations
- Serena Williams vs Julia Goerges, Wimbledon 2018 semi-final
- Senator Graham Slams Democratic Dissent of Kavanaugh
- Giant dinosaur bones get archaeologists rethinking Triassic period
- Royal family: Queen and Prince Philip to miss Prince Louis' christening
- Eleven Rescued From Alaska Crash