There is no release date as yet, which is unusual for a comic book film, although all signs point to this being quite different from the current DC and Marvel offerings.
The director attached to the project, Todd Phillips, may come as a surprise, having most famously helmed the Hangover Trilogy and co-written the Borat movie along with Sacha Baron Cohen.More news: Raheem Sterling thanks England fans after reaching 'dream' World Cup semi-final
The budget for the film is also in the $55 million range, which is significantly lower than the usual blockbuster superhero flick - so could we about to see a more restrained, dare we say, "real" interpretation of The Joker?
According to the studio, the film will be an 'exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale'. After weeks of speculation, Phoenix recently finalized the deal with Warner Bros. and filming is set to start in September.
Joaquin Phoenix will portray mad Batman villain the Joker in a new origin movie, following months of rumours about the project.More news: Boyfriend Of Tragic Love Island Star Sophie Gradon Found Dead
"It's kind of built into the source material in some ways".
This week is our NETFLIX SPECIAL.. More news: Chelsea Tender Improved €70m Bid For Alisson
- Eden Hazard Discusses Real Madrid Amid Chelsea Exit Rumours
- NATO braces for bruising summit with Donald Trump
- George Clooney Rushed to Hospital After Scooter Accident In Italy
- China's Nobel winner's widow Liu Xia leaves Beijing for Germany
- France progress to World Cup final with 1-0 win over Belgium
- Novichok vodka stunt on the rocks
- Sei Young Kim sets record low by going 31 under
- Fine imposed on Facebook over user privacy - United Kingdom lawmaker
- Facebook BROKE LAW in personal data controversy, says watchdog
- Princess Charlotte, Prince George's hilarious expressions captured during RAF flypast