Katarina Zarutskie was vacationing on Staniel Cay, one of the islands in the tropical region, and chose to go swimming with nurse sharks-which are mostly harmless.
But the 19-year-old Instagram model and University of Miami student still had a frightening experience with one during a Bahamas trip last month, and she tells BuzzFeed she feels "very, very blessed and fortunate" she came out of it relatively OK. "I thought it was safe and I saw kids snorkeling, and against my boyfriend's family's wishes I thought it would be fine", Zarutskie said. Her boyfriend's father was taking photos, and he captured the exact moment one of the sharks bit down on her wrist and pulled her underwater.
Ms Zarutskie then swam to shore as her arm bled.More news: Harold Varner III tied for lead at the Greenbriar
"We had seen all these nurse sharks swimming around the marina and I had already known, because I've surfed my whole life [that nurse sharks are relatively harmless]..." "They took the information they wanted and really spun the story in a way that I'm a stupid blonde Instagram model", she said.
"When he bit me, supposedly it sounded like a big vacuum seal sort of sound", she recalled.
"I think if someone was screaming and flailing around it definitely could have changed the situation".More news: Roger Federer loses five-set match to Kevin Anderson
"[The doctors] now believe that I still have pieces of the shark teeth in my arm and I will forever have a scar", said Zarutskie, who noted she was anxious about the injury affecting her burgeoning modeling career. She's been accused of being a dumb blonde who is obsessed with social media. She was convinced the shark had ripped her finger off.
This might just be me, but having your photo taken fuckin' sucks. She went to the hospital to get treatment for her infected wounds.
"He didn't mean it: he's a wild animal, and I think anyone that goes and swims with nurse sharks needs to realise it is an uncontrollable situation".More news: Cardi B has given birth and her child's name is absolutely BONKERS
- Victorian listeria death linked to strain in recalled veges
- European Space Agency Taps Airbus for Mars Sample Return Mission
- Starbucks To Eliminate Plastic Straws From All Of Its Stores By 2020
- England handed boost as Croatia rule out Vrsaljko
- Klopp defends Karius after latest Liverpool blunder
- Denies Having a 360 Deal with Atlantic, Countersues 'Controlling' Ex-Manager
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 revealed in first leaked render
- A Single Goal Sends France To The World Cup Final
- Court seeks extension to resolve remaining cases against Nawaz Sharif
- Kevin Anderson didn't know he would face Roger Federer at Wimbledon