The PGA TOUR has held a tournament in Memphis every year since 1958 with Colonial Country Club playing host until the event moved permanently to TPC Southwind in 1989. The final piece was where to put two new tournaments between the U.S. Open and British Open. The 3M Open at TPC Twin Cities replaces a Champions Tour event held at the venue, and the Rocket Mortgage Classic takes the place of the Quicken Loans National, meaning Tiger Woods is losing one of the events that benefits his foundation.
Behind the tighter schedule was a desire for the tour to complete its season at the Tour Championship before the start of college football and the NFL. "The fact that Aon is providing equal prize money for the men (PGA TOUR) and women (LPGA) has made a huge statement to our players, and we couldn't be more appreciative".
Still to be determined is when the new fall schedule will begin in 2019 and how many tournaments will be part of it.More news: Germany Star's Dad Urges Him To Quit National Team
The 2018-19 season tees off October 4-7 with the Safeway Open in Napa, Calif.
The discrepancy in the men's and women's pay was obvious in Sunday's results: The PGA Tour's Greenbrier Classic had a total purse of $7.3 million, with $1.31 million awarded to the victor, Kevin Na; the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic had a total purse of $2 million, with $300,000 awarded to the champion, Kim Sei-young.
Valspar is followed by the WGC-Dell Match Play Championship and the Valero Texas Open, which precedes the Masters.More news: Sei Young Kim sets record low by going 31 under
The event will be part of the FedEx Cup, and is one of several changes to the pro golf schedule in 2019.
While The Open, to be played at Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland next year, becomes the last of the four majors, it will be a mad dash to the finish for PGA Tour players. We had conversations with our sponsors of the first playoff event, Northern Trust, and they looked at it very closely and felt that it would serve their objectives of being a title sponsor by having the event rotating in and out of the two biggest markets in the Northeast. The Ryder Cup in 2020 will be September 25-27 at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin. That leaves 11 weeks when the PGA Tour does not have an official event.More news: Centre’s change in stance on Section 377 of IPC
- 'World's Ugliest Dog' Zsa Zsa from Minnesota passes away
- Harry and Meghan due in Dublin for two-day visit
- Thailand football team won't attend World Cup final
- Victorian listeria death linked to strain in recalled veges
- Facebook BROKE LAW in personal data controversy, says watchdog
- A Single Goal Sends France To The World Cup Final
- Todd Phillips’ ‘Joker’ Movie Heading Into Production This Fall With Joaquin Phoenix
- Starbucks To Eliminate Plastic Straws From All Of Its Stores By 2020
- Turkey's new finance chief, Erdogan's son-in-law, vows to bring inflation down
- Liverpool close to securing Xherdan Shaqiri transfer