The same court that sentenced Sharif also sentenced his daughter, Maryam Nawaz, to seven years in absentia in a case stemming from documents leaked from a Panama law firm. Political observers believe that the decision for tendering arrest by Nawaz Sharif at Lahore Airport to NAB authorities would boost the morale of workers of his party PMLN and his political move give him a leverage in forthcoming general elections 2018 which are scheduled to be held on July 25, 2018.
Safdar's last known location, since the verdict was announced, was his home constituency of Mansehra from where he meant to contest the general elections in Pakistan scheduled on July 25.More news: European Space Agency Taps Airbus for Mars Sample Return Mission
According to the report, Pakistan's National Accountability Bureau (NAB) teams were heading to the venue to arrest Safdar. Maryam was given a prison term for allegedly providing a forged trust deed, for which Safdar was a witness.
"Since the road option may be hard for the authorities concerned with regard to provide security cover, a helicopter should be provided to the NAB to avoid problems in the arrest and shifting them (Nawaz and Maryam) to Adiala jail in Rawalpindi after producing them before the accountability court", the official said. The NAB said in a statement that Safdar handed himself in.
Earlier in the day Safdar and supporters had driven around the garrison city of Rawalpindi holding impromptu rallies, local television showed. After the arrest, Captain (r) Safdar was shifted in NAB Rawalpindi headquarters.More news: Russell Knox uses incredible clutch putting to win Irish Open in playoff
"The interior ministry on the request of the country's anti-graft body - National Accountability Bureau (NAB)- has placed the names of Nawaz Sharif and Maryam Nawaz on ECL", an official of the Interior Ministry confirmed.
After the verdict on Friday, Safdar said "justice has been massacred" and railed against the judiciary.
He has described the court proceedings against him as politically motivated and a judicial witch-hunt.More news: Chelsea Tender Improved €70m Bid For Alisson
Pakistan's military, which has ruled the nuclear-armed country for nearly half its history, denies involvement in civilian politics. He denies drawing the monthly salary.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 revealed in first leaked render
- Germany Star's Dad Urges Him To Quit National Team
- Raheem Sterling thanks England fans after reaching 'dream' World Cup semi-final
- Turkey's new finance chief, Erdogan's son-in-law, vows to bring inflation down
- Centre’s change in stance on Section 377 of IPC
- Americans in United Kingdom warned to keep 'low profile' during Trump visit
- Kylie Jenner says daughter Stormi has the 'cutest' personality
- Harry and Meghan due in Dublin for two-day visit
- Harold Varner III tied for lead at the Greenbriar
- A Single Goal Sends France To The World Cup Final