In Alberta, the unemployment rate increased to 6.5 per cent of the workforce from 6.2 per cent the previous month.
Statistics Canada data released on June 6 reveals the province lost 8,000 jobs in June.
Unemployment in Northeast B.C. dropped to seven per cent in June, according to Statistics Canada's latest labour force survey.More news: England drop Joe Root but still lose series to India
The Canadian economy added 31,800 jobs in June, more than the 24,000 gain that analysts had predicted.
The Canadian dollar initially strengthened to C$1.3095 to the USA dollar, or 76.37 US cents, up from C$1.3137, or 76.12 US cents, before later giving up its gains.
Canadian government bond prices were higher across a flatter yield curve, with the 10-year rising 18 Canadian cents to yield 2.126 percent. The Bank of Canada says uncertainty over trade tensions between Canada and the United States is one of the biggest potential threats to the economy.More news: Rafael Nadal reaches quarter-finals of Wimbledon
For the fourth consecutive month, Montreal had a lower unemployment rate than Toronto in June. The public sector has increased its membership by 11 800 jobs, while the private sector lost 2,000 employees.
More people were employed in construction, natural resources, and manufacturing. "Overall employment was little changed in the first six months of 2018, following notable growth in 2017". At the same time, employment decreased in accommodation and food services, and in agriculture.
TD senior economist Brian DePratto wrote in a note Friday that the "employment mix could have been a bit healthier, but it certainly could have been worse too". The figure for aircraft imports more than tripled to $937 million due to the purchase of several airliners from the U.S.More news: Orange Is the New Black Season 6 Trailer
- With Pruitt’s Departure, More Than A Quarter of Trump’s Cabinet Has Changed
- Harry Kane Odds on for the Golden Boot
- Movie producer Weinstein pleads not guilty to new sex assault charge
- Thai cave rescue: Four more boys pulled from flooded cave
- How to get tickets to Global Citizen Festival
- Adepoju feels sorry for Russian Federation after Croatia loss
- Daredevil Tony Pastrana replicates Evel Knievel's jumps
- Trump administration takes another swipe at 'ObamaCare'
- Sacha Baron Cohen Series ‘Who Is America? To Premiere Sunday On Showtime
- How significant is Trump's Supreme Court pick?