The signing also strikes a blow for the profile of Serie A against La Liga, which has now lost two of its three most famous players in the a year ago after Paris Saint-Germain signed Neymar from Barcelona last August.
"For Real Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo will always be one of its great symbols and a unique reference for future generations". Real Madrid confirmed the news in a short statement on their website earlier today.
It's a huge move that modifies the landscape of European soccer, moving Real Madrid from a top-tier Champions League contender to one with huge question marks up top.More news: Chelsea transfer deal on verge of completion, player agrees personal terms
The German global joined Liverpool in 2014 and played his 167th and last match for the Premier League side in their Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid in May.
Ronaldo and Real Madrid ended Juventus' Champions League hopes in each of the past two seasons, including in the 2017 final, when he scored twice in a 4-1 victory.
It did not give any details as to the amount of the transfer but Spanish media reports have said it could reach 105 million euros ($120 million), with the 33-year-old signing a four-year contract worth 30 million euros per season.
Real Madrid announced the move Tuesday.More news: Buffon ready to fight for PSG place but not targeting Champions League
"I think that the moment has arrived to start a new chapter in my life and therefore I have asked the club to accept letting me leave".
Ronaldo leaves the club as an all-time legend, having won 16 trophies while scoring 451 goals in 438 games.
He was also named as the world's best men's player on six occasions while representing Los Blancos.
"Beyond the conquered titles, the trophies achieved and the triumphs achieved in the playing fields during these nine years, Cristiano Ronaldo has been an example of dedication, work, responsibility, talent and improvement". Whatever happens, Madrid must replace the goals Ronaldo has scored so consistently. On an indifvidual level, as a Real Madrid player he has also won four Ballon d'Ors, two The Bests and three Golden Boots, among a host of other gongs.More news: Trump to be greeted with 'Trump baby' blimp in London
- Tories rally behind PM amid Brexit chaos - but should May stay?
- Trump's Latest Affordable Care Act Move Adds to Insurers' Uncertainty
- Dissident Liu Xiaobo's widow 'allowed to leave China'
- Belgium Team vs France, Predicted XI
- Suspects Pummel 92-Year-Old Man with Brick in Southern Los Angeles
- Brazil star Neymar urge PSG to sign Suarez from Barcelona this summer
- Netflix Debuts "Smart Download" Feature As Boost For Binges
- No Idea When All Cave Boys Will be Rescued, Prayuth Says
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus set to sign Real Madrid forward
- Trump Pardons 2 Ranchers in Case That Inspired Wildlife Refuge Occupation