The US State Department said separately that it was aware of vandalism at a Best Western hotel, where media reports said Americans were staying, and at an American Airlines office in downtown Port-au-Prince.
Following two days of violent protests in Haiti, Jim Foglio said his wife and other volunteers from the Denver-based nonprofit Bridge of Life are among those sheltering in place in the country.
Haiti Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant had previously declared that fuel prices needed to be raised to balance the budget and announced a 38 percent increase for gasoline, diesel and kerosene.More news: Eight boys rescued from cave in northern Thailand
A mission group from central Kentucky that has been working with schools and children is stranded in Haiti.
"Flights are cancelled today and the airport has limited food and water available", the U.S. State Department said. Only a few miles into the journey, the group encountered individuals demanding payment for access to the roadway.
They talked their way past the roadblock, but elected to turn around when they came to second group of individuals who had erected a blockade of burning tires on the road, McFarlin says.
"If there is no response within two hours, the government will be considered as having resigned" and the legislature will take charge, said Gary Bodeau, the president of the Chamber of Deputies. Protesters tried at one point to set a gas station on fire but were held off by police. "Just people taking advantage of the situation".More news: Boris Johnson quits as UK Foreign Secretary
Opposition groups said they expected more protests throughout the country on Saturday.
"Continue to let our people, if we can't get through to them, know that we're safe and that their continued prayers are appreciated".
Chapin United Methodist Church in SC posted online that its mission team was safe but stranded. "Embassy personnel are still under a Shelter in Place order", the dispatch read.
"The Embassy advised Americans to contact family to keep them informed of their welfare and whereabouts, avoid protests and any large gatherings, and to not attempt to drive through roadblocks".More news: Barcelona : Paulinho officially re-joins Guangzhou Evergrande
A spokesman for USA carrier American Airlines Group Inc said it had canceled three out of seven roundtrip flights scheduled to stop in Port-au-Prince on Sunday.
- Jeremy Hunt: Japanese-speaking ‘survivor’ is UK’s new foreign minister
- Prince Harry buys 1926 first edition of Winnie-the-Pooh for Louis
- Young: England haven't won anything yet
- Queen and Prince Philip to miss Prince Louis' christening
- Star of 'Borat' and 'Bruno' returns satirical gaze to US
- Santorum on Kavanaugh pick: Trump 'bowed to the elite in Washington'
- Thai cave rescue sees four more boys freed
- Juventus signing Emre Can: Be great to play with Ronaldo here
- Gary Neville's World Cup predictions are very impressive in hindsight
- UK's Prince Louis, Kate Middleton's Son, Christened Without Queen