According to ESPN's Tim MacMahon, the Rockets offered Capela a four-year deal in the $60 million range, but he is seeking a contract similar to Steven Adams' $100 million deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
This offseason has not gone according to plan for the Houston Rockets, as they've seen two key rotation pieces from last season's squad that pushed the Warriors to seven games leave in free agency. The Rockets have now lost two of their most effective wings in Luc Mbah a Moute and Trevor Ariza, making Melo a much better fit than he was previously.More news: Boris Johnson Quits U.K. Government in Blow to Brexit, Theresa May
The moves add to uncertainty for the Rockets around Swiss free agent center Clint Capela, who has not agreed to a new deal. If Carmelo is really determined to play with CP3, who is his close friend, he could sign a team-friendly deal with Houston.
In order to lessen their luxury tax burden, the Thunder are expected to cut ties with Anthony this summer after just one season.More news: Government Will Miss Deadline To Reunify Young Children With Parents
Anthony, 34, opted into the final year of his contract in June, and is set to make $27.9 million next season.
Many teams have been rumored to be interested, with the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets on top of the list. Only a few teams like Chicago and Sacramento can realistically create the salary cap space necessary to completely absorb Anthony's salary without sending any players back to the Thunder. Along with playing no defense, his relationship with head coach Mike D'Antoni has a messy past.More news: WhatsApp suggests ways to combat fake news
- George Clooney reportedly hurt in motorcycle crash in Italy
- Fortnite Season 5 starting on July 12
- China: Liu Xia free and on her way to Germany
- Rescued Thai boys have been given chocolate and TVs
- Salman Khan calls Katrina Kaif 'baby' during an interview
- Duchess of Sussex in Ralph Lauren for Prince Louis's christening
- Bookstore Owner Calls Police On Woman Accosting Steve Bannon
- Divers go in to save all remaining Thai boys trapped in cave
- Prince Harry treats Prince Louis to £8,000 christening present
- Nadal back in Wimbledon quarters after 7 years