Spanish publication Marca says that Napoli were soon completing the signing of Lucas Torreira but the deal didn't go through after the gunners came into the race for the Uruguay global with a better offer which was to see the defensive midfielder earn £1.7million a year in wages if he comes to the Emirates Stadium.
The 22-year-old underwent a medical with the Gunners on Monday after flying from Russian Federation, where he helped La Celeste make it to the quarter-finals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup before they were beaten 2-0 by France.
The details of the contract have not been revealed but it's understood that the deal is worth around £22 million. Uruguay lost to France in the Quarter-Finals of this year's tournament last week.More news: Raptors 'generated buzz' in potential trade for Kawhi Leonard
The Uruguay global performed extremely well for his country in the World Cup after an impressive season in Serie A.
Torreira becomes the fourth major signing for new Arsenal head coach Unai Emery, following Bernd Leno, Stephan Lichtsteiner and Sokratis Papastathopoulos to the club.
We give honest thanks to the Uruguayan midfielder- 74 appearances and 4 goals as a blucerchiato- for the commitment shown in these two seasons and the greatest good luck for the rest of his career is wished by President Massimo Ferrero and all of the company.More news: OR fugitive charged for burying baby alive near Missoula
Torreira will wear the No 11 shirt that Mesut Özil occupied until this summer, with the German instead set to be wearing the No 10 shirt vacated by Jack Wilshere, now at West Ham.
"He is a young player already with good experience, but who wants to keep on growing".More news: Nebraska groups react to Pruitt's resignation
- Carmelo Anthony to Rockets? Juicy Summer League sighting blows race wide open
- Trump Still Distorting NATO Spending
- George Clooney injured in bike crash
- Japan struggles in the wake of worst flooding in decades
- West Ham signs Wilshere from Arsenal
- Pixel 2 XL, Home, & Chromecast, including $150 off Home Max pair
- Croatia fear England's Sterling in semi
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry send thank you notes after royal wedding
- Trump Nominates Kavanaugh to Supreme Court
- Duchess of Sussex in Ralph Lauren for Prince Louis's christening