It has been a mostly stationary storm so far, sustaining maximum wind speeds close to 45 miles per hour, but is expected to remain "well offshore" of the USA coast.
While Chris is expected to become a hurricane, it will stay offshore and head to sea, according to the storm center.
Tropical Storm Chris is expected to bring swell and showers to Bermuda towards the middle of this week.
The storm was sitting almost still off the SC coast on Sunday, about 160 miles south of Cape Hatteras.More news: Cormier flattens UFC heavyweight Miocic
"Based on the current track by the National Hurricane Center, it looks to be tracking well southeast of Nantucket", Buttrick said.
At 11a.m. Tropical Storm Beryl was located about 130 miles or 210 kilometres northeast of Barbados.
Beryl is then expected to weaken, with its post-tropical remnants charting a course for Puerto Rico and following a somewhat similar path through the Caribbean as 2017's Hurricane Maria.More news: Is Justin Bieber engaged to Hailey Baldwin?
Intermittent rainstorms already were hitting Dominica early Sunday, and the U.S. National Hurricane Center said 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 centimeters) of rain could fall as the storm moves through or near the island on Sunday night.
High surf and unsafe rip currents are expected along parts of the Carolina and mid-Atlantic coasts through early week.
Tropical storm watches are in effect for Martinique, St. Martin, St. Barthelemy, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Maarten. "Gradual weakening is anticipated during the next 36 hours, and Beryl is forecast to degenerate into a trough of low pressure as it moves across the Lesser Antilles and into the eastern Caribbean Sea by Monday".
The tropical storm, which was named Sunday morning, is expected to continue gaining strength as it hovers over the Gulf stream's warm waters in the Atlantic Ocean, AccuWeather.com reports.More news: Canada's Trade Deficit Widened in May
Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria in September, remains under a state of emergency.
- European peace activists march against Trump's NATO visit
- Hunters died in Sibuya Game Reserve
- Here's What The "Avengers: Infinity War" Blu-Ray Release Will Feature
- Conservatives finally realize prison is bad thanks to Paul Manafort
- Up to 54 deaths linked to southern Quebec heat wave
- Netflix is testing some new plans. Here's what they do
- Turkey Sacks 18,500 Staff before Expected End of Coup Emergency
- Daniel Cormier Predicted Exactly How He Would KO Stipe Miocic
- Lewis Hamilton fastest in Austrian GP first practice
- England football fans celebrate in the streets after victory over Sweden