After 10 years since it was first introduced, Seattle's ban on plastic straws and utensils is now in effect. Seattle is believed to be the first major US city to ban single-use plastic straws and utensils in food service.
Plastic straws and utensils were originally exempt from the ban because of a lack of viable compostable alternatives. Counted among food service businesses are restaurants, delis, coffee shops, food trucks, cafeterias, and grocery stores.
This ban comes a decade after the city first adopted an ordinance in 2008 to require that all one-time-use food service items be recyclable or compostable.More news: Elon Musk designs escape pod for soccer team trapped in Thai cave
"Plastic pollution is surpassing crisis levels in the world's oceans, and I'm proud Seattle is leading the way and setting an example for the nation by enacting a plastic straw ban", Mami Hara, the general manager of Seattle Public Utilities, told KOMO News.
Last September, the ocean advocacy nonprofit Lonely Whale Foundation got businesses in Seattle to exchange 2.3 million plastic straws out for compostable alternatives as part of a Strawless in Seattle campaign. These small pieces of plastic are among the most frequently littered items, advocates for such bans say.
Businesses that violate the ban could have to pay a $250 fine.More news: India beat England, Sachin hails Rohit for 'clean hitting'
Every day, people in the USA use and discard an estimated 50 million straws. In 2009, Styrofoam was banned. And, in 2015, a video of a sea turtle found with a plastic straw embedded in its nose went viral. City officials said most customers will say "no" if asked if they want a straw.
According to the Seattle Times, flexible plastic straws will be available for customers who need to use them for a medical reason.
Proposals to ban plastic straws are being considered in other cities, including NY and San Francisco.More news: Britain's Brexit Secretary David Davis quits, Europe News & Top Stories
- Gal Gadot Visits Children’s Hospital in Full Wonder Woman Costume
- Samsung opens world's largest smartphone factory in India to boost production
- Spain manager odds: Roberto Martinez and Luis Enrique among favourites
- America's first dogs came from Siberia, disappeared after Europeans arrived
- Sebastian Vettel - Silly to suggest Kimi Raikkonen hit Lewis Hamilton on objective
- Ferrari says British Grand Prix was 'good for Formula 1'
- Fekir will seize on Liverpool transfer if Lyon agree deal - Bruno Genesio
- The British Royal Family's christening traditions - 9Honey
- Conservatives finally realize prison is bad thanks to Paul Manafort
- Tropical Storm Chris Forecast to Become a Hurricane Early This Week