First Steps - 4 years, 10 months ❤️ ❤️❤️ I can't even put into words how we are feeling.
Her brother can be heard in the background encouraging her by telling her she's already been walking for a minute.
Maya Tisdale from MI was born 4 months early and weighed 1 pound and 10 ounces. "I'm walking!" Maya exclaims on video. Her fighting spirit in the NICU earned her the nickname "Mighty Miss Maya" among family and friends. The illness left her unable to stand on her own for more than a few seconds and required her to use a walker.
"I'm walking!", Maya says.More news: Giuliani: Trump 'did not originally know' about Stormy Daniels payment
The Michigan girl traveled to St. Louis in March to undergo selective dorsal rhizotomy, which doctors predicted would allow her to walk independently for the first time after undergoing extensive physical therapy. Her mother, Ann Tisdale, noticed that the youngest of the family's three children had tightness in her legs and was skipping typical infant milestones.
Little Maya, affectionately called "Mighty Miss Maya" by her family, was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of one.
"We're always trying to help her and she always says, 'No, I can do it!'" she said.
Maya's family stated that the procedure would reduce Maya's spasticity permanently and give Maya to live without much pain.More news: What Joe Hart Was Doing While England Beat Sweden In Quarter Final
"We expected where Maya was before surgery that it would take her at least six months to a year to get to independent steps and here we are seven weeks after", Ann Tisdale told ABC.
She spends several weeks in physical therapy.
The now-viral clip shows Maya sitting on a small bench and teetering for her first two steps before plopping back down on the seat.More news: Pokemon GO Increases Pokemon Storage Limit
- Two US destroyers sail into Taiwan Strait: Taiwan gov't
- Up to 54 deaths linked to southern Quebec heat wave
- Pickford a new-generation stopper for a modern England team
- Salah and Mane to be on Liverpool's American tour Klopp confirms
- 'D-Day': risky mission underway to save Thai boys trapped in cave
- Canada's Trade Deficit Widened in May
- Thunder, Carmelo Anthony Will Work Together On Exit
- Angry Man Curses & Hurls Drink At Trump Supporter Eating In Whataburger
- Daniel Cormier Predicted Exactly How He Would KO Stipe Miocic
- England level T20 series with India after belting 12 from final over