Imports of aircraft and other transportation equipment as well as energy products contributed the most to the increase in May.
May imports were $258.4 billion, $1.1 billion more than April imports.
Analysts in a Reuters poll had predicted a shortfall of $2.05-billion. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg News had anticipated the trade deficit would widen to $2.2 billion, from $1.9 billion in April. Exports increased $84.5 billion or 8.8 percent.More news: 'I had to stay tough': Djokovic ignores call row to sink Edmund
Amid trade tensions with the United States, a "disruption" in the supply of auto parts from the U.S. in May led to a 4.9 percent decline in exports of passenger cars and light trucks.
In an another report, the Bank of France revealed that the seasonally and working-day-adjusted current account deficit widened to Euro 2.9 billion in May from Euro 1.3 billion in the prior month.
"A number of Canadian refineries were temporarily shut down in May, resulting in higher imports to meet domestic demand for refined petroleum products".More news: Suzuki Jimny: Still ploughing a Jimny furrow
Exports slipped by 0.1 percent as shipments of motor vehicle and parts fell by 3.6 percent amid a disruption in the supply of auto parts from a plant in the United States.
"Imports from countries other than the United States rose 2.9 per cent in May to $18.5 billion", the agency said. Imports increased $102.4 billion or 8.6%.
Pushed by a 17.7 percent rise in orders of aircraft and other transportation equipment - the fifth consecutive monthly rise for that category - Canadian imports rose 1.7 percent to Can$51.1 billion in May, Statistics Canada said.More news: Angry Man Curses & Hurls Drink At Trump Supporter Eating In Whataburger
- 'Breaking Promises': Veterans React to Army Discharging Immigrants After Promises of Citizenship
- What Joe Hart Was Doing While England Beat Sweden In Quarter Final
- Trump teases pick for Supreme Court
- Lovren’s Croatia set up World Cup semi-final with England
- Ancient Toddlers Also Loved Climbing Trees
- Giuliani: Trump 'did not originally know' about Stormy Daniels payment
- Brazil vs. Belgium - Football Match Report
- Concerned England fans make the same joke about the referee against Sweden
- United States jobs report shows higher unemployment rate, more jobs than forecast
- Thunder, Carmelo Anthony Will Work Together On Exit