We are the happy few now.More news: Scientists create hybrids in race to save white rhino sub-species
While this does technically "reward" players for using the drug, We Happy Few actually seems to have a message of anti-drug use.
In the game, players take the drug "Joy" to blend in with the rest of society, and escape its horrors. "In this context, our game's overarching social commentary is no different than Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, or Terry Gilliam's Brazil". Australia has a long history with game bans and cutting content, so it's nice to see We Happy Few unbanned. With Kickstarter involved in the game's funding, that would've been a whole mess. The core loop of the game is to resist taking the drug and fight the oppression. The drug use appears to have been the sticking point in the Board's original decision to refuse the game for classification.More news: Grayson Allen Headbutts Trae Young In Just His 2nd Summer League Game
The rating was awarded with additional consumer advice in the form of warnings that it does contain "fantasy violence and interactive drug use". Now, with the decision to award an R 18+ classification, "We Happy Few" can be sold in-stores.
We Happy Few will release worldwide on 10 August 2018 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. That's a big deal, as other big-name games like Call of Duty: WWII, Saints Row IV, and South Park: The Stick of Truth were all edited to make it through the classification process in Australia. Does We Happy Few releasing in Australia fill you with, ahem, Joy?More news: Facebook and Cristiano Ronaldo in talks for reality series
- Brazil, France Target World Cup Semi-Finals
- Ford Ends Cap-and-Trade Carbon Tax Era in Ontario
- Bugs, ‘lucky’ foe send No. 2 seed Wozniacki out of Wimbledon
- GME: Thai diver dies during cave rescue attempt
- Carmelo Anthony Leaving OKC Thunder: Will He Join LeBron James In LA?
- Tony Parker says he has no problem with Kawhi Leonard
- Johns Hopkins evacuated after staff accidentally drops deadly tuberculosis sample
- Fortnite Playground LTM ends July 12, minor changes coming in next update
- Arrest, charges in connection with Humboldt Broncos crash
- Likely impact of US-China trade war: Prices up, growth down