A tropical depression developed in the open Atlantic Ocean Thursday morning, but it may weaken before hitting the Leeward Islands.
Some strengthening is possible, and the depression could become Tropical Storm Beryl later Thursday or on Friday.More news: Love Island SPOILER: Laura calls Georgia a "little girl" in explosive rant
There are no watches or warnings in effect for the storm. A second system a few hundred miles southwest of Bermuda remained disorganized Thursday morning, but forecasters said it could strengthen as it moves east, away from the US coast.
We could have a third name storm soon, as the National Hurricane Center just upgraded a disturbance off the coast of the Carolinas to a tropical depression. On the forecast track, the centre of Beryl will remain east of the Lesser Antilles through Sunday.
The depression is moving toward the north-northwest near 5 miles per hour and is forecast to slow down and meander well offshore of the coast of the Carolinas through Monday.More news: Thai cave rescue — TIMELINE
Hurricane-force winds from the hurricane extend only 10 miles from the center, with tropical storm force winds stretching only up to 35 miles. Additional weakening is forecast during the next 48 hours, especially once Beryl reaches the eastern Caribbean Sea on Monday. However, forecasters say upper-level winds could make conditions unfavorable for sustaining the storm.
The barrelling tropical storm caused more than £37million ($50million) in damage and claimed 12 lives as it moved up the USA coast in May.
While tropical storms can develop any time from February through December, July storms are somewhat unusual, according to the NHC. The only storm in the Atlantic basin so far this year was Subtropical Storm Alberto, which formed on May 25 and dissipated on May 31 after making landfall in the Florida panhandle.More news: Sonos files for initial public offering
- Spotify's subscriber numbers now lag behind Apple Music's in United States markets
- Eleven killed, at least 45 missing as torrential rain pounds Japan
- Faster software updates are coming to the OnePlus 5 and 5T
- Former NBA, UCLA Player Found Dead After Standoff With Police
- Google’s Duplex AI could kill the call center
- Sweden can beat England and win World Cup Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- First Atlantic hurricane puts Dominica on alert
- England start to believe 'Football's Coming Home' after sweeping past Sweden
- 2nd T20I ENG vs IND Live Streaming
- Belgium can beat 'best team' Brazil in quarterfinal clash - Romelu Lukaku