Their owners say that Samsung Messages, the default texting app for Galaxy devices, pushed photos and scheduled texts to random contacts, but left no record of the messages being sent.
One user on Reddit said his girlfriend received a message with his phone's entire photo library, but the phone itself showed no such message being sent. "Concerned customers are encouraged to contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG", reads Samsung's statement. Multiple Samsung bugs have been reported since the change, mainly connected to the Samsung Messaging app.
It is believed the bug could be due to a new messaging standard called RCS, which is created to make texting look more like a messaging app, complete with read receipts and typing indicators.More news: Pompeo to head to North Korea as doubts mount over denuclearization
A handful of Samsung smartphone owners say that their phones have sent their stored photos to their contacts completely on their own. I mean, a few beach photos randomly sent to your boss at 3:00 a.m.is one thing, but we all know it could be so much worse.
While most of the reports are coming from Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, and Note 8 users, the problem may plague other devices with Samsung Messages as well. There was a record of the message in that person's phone carrier logs, but not within the app.
The current theory seems to be that the bug is being caused by a recent RCS (Rich Communication Services) profile update that certain carriers - including T-Mobile - rolled out.More news: Trump Administration Calls on Colleges to End Affirmative Action
Samsung acknowledged an inquiry from Gizmodo that it was aware of the bug and that it is now working on a fix. There was some speculation this issue had to do with T-Mobile, but the company has denied this according to The Verge.
A quick fix, as per the report, is that the users can revoke Samsung Messages' permission to access storage that will enable to avoid the bug from sending their files.
"Oddly enough, my wife's phone did that last night, and mine did it the night before", said Reddit user Sfkn123.More news: Tina Turner's Oldest Son Dead at 59 from Self-Inflicted Gunshot
- Dodge Challenger Pricing Announced, SRT Hellcat Redeye Costs $69,650
- FIFA Fines Russia for Fan's Discriminatory Banner
- Miles Teller joins Tom Cruise’s ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ as Goose’s son
- Ofcom Flooded With 650 Complaints As Dani Dyer Cries On 'Love Island'
- One-on-one meeting with Trump 'absolutely suits' Putin
- Scientists: "Artificial ovaries" will help to get pregnant after chemotherapy
- Zimbabwean rugby team forced to sleep on streets
- Chinese company reveals laser gun to ignite protesters' hair
- Iconic LeBron James banner in Cleveland comes down
- Water restrictions put in place in Offaly as drought continues