As Microsoft and Nintendo continue to promote their support of Cross Play technology for their respective consoles this summer, Sony has been staunchly opposed to participating in a campaign of uniformity.
"That to us means two things", said Todd Howard, director of Bethesda Game Studios, when Eurogamer asked him what it means to say that Starfield will be next-gen. Sony's unwillingness to play nice with other platform holders seems to have quashed plans for cross-play in yet another game, and this time around, it's Bethesda's Fallout 76.
"We would love to have that, but now this isn't possible", Howard said.
Sony has already been the subject of similar backlash - a few weeks ago players discovered that if they had ever logged in to their Fortnite account on a PlayStation 4, they were unable to use that account on an Xbox or Nintendo Switch.More news: Trump roasted after typo in tweet about his wonderful spelling skills
He describes Starfield as "different" but added that "if you sit down and play it you would recognise it as something we made if that makes sense?"
With the rise of PC gaming, a proliferation of indie game developers and new cooperation among AAA developers, Sony's exclusivity might get them left in the dust. "Sony isn't as helpful as everyone would like".
However, Sony has been a subject of major criticism regarding its handling of cross-play for Fortnite, as the company will not allow its players to play with Xbox One or Nintendo Switch players, while Microsoft and Nintendo have chose to allow cross-play for the popular battle royale title on their two consoles.
Sony Interactive Entertainment America President and CEO Shawn Layden recently offered hope that PlayStation 4 cross-play has a chance of happening.More news: US Begins Lifting Ban On ZTE; Allows Company To Temporarily Resume Business
If there was any doubt about Sony being the stick in the mud where cross-play is concerned, that should be finally settled thanks to some words uttered by Fallout 76's Todd Howard.
Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Fallout 76 has been seen as a flawless candidate for cross-platform play.More news: Alex Noren takes French Open title to strengthen Ryder Cup case
- Manager fired over text messages to worker with child on life support
- Linda Hunt hurt in Hollywood crash; Oscar-winning actress, NCIS star
- Chris Pine and Patty Jenkins Reunite for 'I Am the Night' Trailer
- ‘Families Belong Together' Rally: Thousands protest family separations at border across country
- Anthony Joshua's proposed opponent Alexander Povetkin signs up for VADA programme
- Diego Maradona calls England win over Colombia 'monumental robbery'
- Scarlett Johansson draws criticism for accepting role of transgender man
- Donald Trump insists denuclearization in North Korea happening, despite evidence to contrary
- Philippine city mayor slain by sniper
- Obama handed 2.5K Iranians citizenship in Iran nuke deal