Haley past year slammed the body for its "relentless, pathological campaign" against Israel.
Despite the criticism, he said "I stress that that does not mean that we in the United Kingdom are blind to the value of this council".
Foreign Minister Boris Johnson yesterday urged the council to reform its treatment of Israel, objecting to the permanent Agenda Item 7 which deals with Israeli abuses in the Palestinian territories. It is a dramatic moment for a nation the world once looked to as the world's voice on human rights, the nation where the UN lives, the nation whose former First Lady in 1948 chaired the committee that drafted the UN Declaration of Human Rights.More news: Greece and Macedonia sign agreement on name change
Speaking in Geneva, she denounced the council as a "forum for politics, hypocrisy and evasion" and accused member countries such as Venezuela, Cuba, China, Burundi and Saudi Arabia of failing to fulfill their duties to "uphold the highest standards" of human rights.
The council is scheduled to discuss Israel and the Palestinian territories on July 2, according to its agenda. Nevertheless, the move will add to concerns that the United States is, under Trump, retreating from its leading position as an global advocate for human rights.
"It's true, the Human Rights Council continues to disproportionately focus on Israel", said Peter Yeo, an official with the United Nations Foundation that connects the organization with private and nongovernmental groups and foundations. Item 7 on "Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories" has been part of the council's regular business nearly as long as it has existed. U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.More news: Son Heung-Min says South Korea's opening defeat is his fault
The 47-member council has a number of powers, including the ability to establish panels that probe alleged human rights abuses. Human rights are universal and should be applied universally and not in such a nakedly biased way. The U.S. joined the body only in 2009 under President Barack Obama. The council was established 12 years ago, replacing the U.N. Human Rights Commission.
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, again slammed the USA policy in the latest session on Monday, saying "the thought that any state would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable".
The US and Israel have long lobbied for the elimination of Agenda Item 7.More news: Fresh Pixel 3 XL leak confirms at least one key detail
- Fearless woman strangles and kills rabid bobcat
- Poland take on Senegal at Spartak Stadium
- Comedy Giants Putting Some Serious Pressure on FOX News
- LeBron James: Four reasons why he must choose the Houston Rockets
- This country's prime minister intervened because people couldn't watch the World Cup
- Sign asks Dunkin Donuts customers to report employees speaking foreign languages
- In Trump Rebuke, US Senate Votes to Reimpose Ban on China's ZTE
- Hamas has launched into Israel balloons with bombs
- Disney Expected to Add Cash for Fox Assets, Counter Comcast Bid
- Barcelona: Gerard Pique 'caused unease' with involvement in Antoine Griezmann film