Canada failed in its lone previous World Cup bid - to host the 1986 tournament after Colombia pulled out as host.
The United States, Mexico, and Canada will jointly host the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Their lone opponent was Morocco.
Up until now the host country has received an automatic berth, but 2026 will mark the first year the World Cup grows from 32 teams to 48, so there's a good chance Federation Internationale de Football Association will decide to give spots to Canada, the US and Mexico.
"Thank you for entrusting us with the privilege of hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2026", Carlos Cordiero, the president of US Soccer told the delegates from more than 200 member nations following the vote. The United States is likely to have 10 cities selected to host games, while Mexico and Canada are expected to each have three.More news: Summit mania on eve of meeting
The FA was among the first to congratulate the US' joint bid with Mexico and Canada.
Hasseltine said Monday that the focus of Baltimore's bid committee would now turn to tying up "any loose ends", from potential practice venues to the creation of green spaces in the city.
With files from Rob Williams.
The World Cup final will be played in New Jersey's Metlife Stadium, which holds around 85,000. "I believe in what I can do for FIFA and for football".
"We are set up to do exactly that - host groups and teams here - and would love to be involved if the opportunity arose", Robertson said.More news: Trump habit of ripping up documents a headache for record-keepers
The joint North American bid includes 23 cities in the U.S., Mexico and Canada, including Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. The combined economic impact on those 16 host cities is estimated at $5 billion US.
"I have also watched a number of friendly games of the big teams and favourites, and I have not seen anything to suggest African teams will be found wanting at the World Cup". There was no professional league, numerous national team players came from New Jersey and California, watching live professional games from Europe was almost impossible, and the World Cup ratings from 1990 in Italy were miniscule. Canada has never staged a men's World Cup, but hosted the women's tournament in 2015.
The tournament involves 32 national teams, including current champions Germany and World Cup newcomers Iceland and Panama. It will also be played during the 250th anniversary celebrations of the country, founded in 1776.
Thirty-two national teams are participating in the World Cup football championships in Russian Federation.More news: How Meghan Markle dared to break protocol at Queen's birthday parade
- Raccoon scales office tower, captivating public
- Manchester United new boy Fred suffers 'ankle trauma' during Brazil training
- Trump declares an end to the North Korean nuclear threat
- Jada Pinkett Smith & Daughter Willow Get Candid About Orgasms in New Video
- British PM fends off Brexit parliamentary defeat
- Added Sugar Consumption In Toddlers Is On The Rise In The US
- Major Crowd Fight Takes The Shine Off Tyson Fury Return
- Trump vents anger on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, European Union and Canada's Trudeau
- UK government wins Brexit skirmish by making concessions
- Glass is ‘hoof’ full for Notre Dame football after Justify’s Triple Crown