Considering Boston would all but have to be paying the repeater tax that season in this scenario, that would put Boston's payroll at an astronomical $254 million - a number that would only keep going up.
"In this business, I've experienced it all and I've seen a lot", he tactfully replied, "so we'll see what management decides". Keep in mind, Irving is still on a bargain contract, and knows that he is in line for his first real massive pay day.
"(Irving) has his best chance (to win a championship) in Boston", Max Kellerman said Wednesday morning.More news: White House Seeks to Block Senate Bid to Kill ZTE Deal
Irving is eligible for an extension this summer but, even coming off another knee surgery that sidelined him for Boston's improbable run to the cusp of the Finals, was adamant that he'll wait for the summer of 2019 to examine his future. Until I get to that point, then I can't really answer any questions.
And when you look at the financial situation, it's not hard to see why Irving wouldn't want to sign an extension.
But Irving is would really like to minimize those inquiries going forward, and his focus is now on basketball. "Only beneficial. I love that they have that belief in themselves because they saw it firsthand what it was like to be on that big stage".
"That's the type of attitude, and effort, you would like to be a part of", he said.More news: Geraint Thomas wins the Criterium du Dauphine ahead of Adam Yates
It's no secret that one of the motivations for Irving seeking the trade that landed him in Boston last August was the need to spread his wings away from James. While these reports are just talk at this point, while Irving was in Cleveland, he had expressed interest in going to NY to play for the Knicks on multiple occasions.
Irving was asked whether essentially being on a one-year deal could have an impact on the Celtics.
Irving said he has yet to start running on the treadmill, but has begun to do some things on the basketball court, noting there are 15 weeks left until the start of training camp in September.
When he referenced Hayward, Irving smiled wide and added, "and now getting my man Gordon back - I'm excited man".More news: Toddlers are eating too much sugar: CDC study
"The challenge is now we have championship pedigree", he said. Docked behind him as he sat before the media were the "Boston Elite" and "Odyssey", which he, respectively, is, and is on.
- Theresa May avoids Commons defeat after Brexit climbdown
- Intel's discrete graphics products will begin appearing in 2020
- Bulls to open summer league play July 7
- Big dust storm on red planet forcefully ceases activities of NASA’s Opportunity
- Google Removes the Option of Installing Chrome Extensions via Remote Sites
- Kylian Mbappe breaks silence on injury scare ahead of World Cup
- Uber driver who booted 2 kissing women has licence suspended
- Ex-prez Martinelli extradited from US to Panama for trial
- Dem lawmakers seek criminal corruption probe of EPA's Pruitt
- Kim commits to work towards complete denuclearisation amid historic Trump summit