Victoria Coates, special assistant to President Trump, on President Trump's decision to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal, Trump's handling of North Korea and the confirmation hearings for CIA Director nominee Gina Haspel.
With just days until their opening match against Morocco, the Iranian players are scrambling to settle their footwear situation after Nike, which had previously supplied the team with boots, said it would not do so for this tournament because of global economic sanctions against the Asian country.
"US sanctions mean that, as a United States company, Nike can not supply shoes to players in the Iranian National team at this time", Nike said.More news: Trump’s Trade Adviser Apologizes for ‘Inappropriate’ Trudeau Comments
Nike's decision came weeks after President Donald Trump said his administration would withdraw from the Iran nuclear accord, which had been in place since 2015 and included Britain, Germany and France.
Iran's jerseys are made by rival manufacturer Adidas, though the German company does not sponsor the team; they sold the uniforms to the Iranian federation.
Nike's use of the sanctions to justify its decision has raised concerns because in 2014, when economic sanctions were in place against Iran, the national team wore Nike cleats during the World Cup games.More news: Tesla laying off 9 percent of workforce
There is some confusion among the Iranians, however, because Nike has supplied the team with gear in the past when the country was subjected to US sanctions - including the 2014 World Cup. "We respect them a lot and I am sure they respect us a lot too", Queiroz told reporters at BaBakovkaamp in Russian Federation.
The Iranian squad have been left scrambling to sort out footwear ahead of their opening match against Morocco on Friday. "This last comment of Nike was, in my personal view, an unnecessary statement".
Queiroz's side also face Spain and Portugal in the first phase.More news: Dennis Rodman broke down in tears talking about North Korea-US situation
- Trump hails US, Mexico, Canada 2026 SWC win via Twitter
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Officially Passes $2 Billion at the Box Office
- Trump critic Mark Sanford falls in South Carolina GOP primary
- Don’t tie our hands in Brexit negotiations, British government tells parliament
- Super Mario Party Is the Ultimate Party Game for Nintendo Switch
- Is Anthem Coming to Nintendo Switch?
- Pope accepts resignation of three bishops over Chile sexual abuse scandal
- The reason why Meghan Markle stood behind Kate Middleton on the balcony
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy rejects PM Modi’s fitness challenge, see his reply
- Foxconn scrutinizing harsh working conditions at factory for Amazon products