Police also released this footage of Sergent Anthony Mannino stopping his patrol vehicle and running after the toddler on Route 59, before picking him up to comfort him.
But as he drew closer, he realized it was a 1-year-old boy running along the highway's right lane, just steps away from passing cars. The 1-year-old was running alongside traffic, including large trucks whizzing by at unsafe speeds. The Naperville, Illinois Police Department awarded Mannino for his life-saving actions. Mannino parked his cruiser to block traffic, then ran to the little boy who was eventually reunited with his mother.More news: Former UNI player Nick Nurse becoming Toronto Raptors' head coach
A heroic police officer rescued a child wandering in the middle of a highway in IL.
"You're OK. You're OK", said Mannino, when he caught up to the boy. Mannino then alerts dispatch that he has him and would begin searching for his parents.More news: N-Out Texas locations temporarily close
Police said on Facebook that the boy escaped his mother's watchful eye and left his house - he was fortunately not hurt. Police ruled the incident an accident.More news: Pope accepts resignation of three bishops over Chile sexual abuse scandal
- Clint Bowyer takes rain-shortened MI race
- Vienna Possible Venue For Putin-Trump Meeting
- Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld says he could stay amid Manchester United links
- Your kitchen towel could give you food poisoning
- Greece and Macedonia reach deal to end decades-old name dispute
- Raccoon scales Minnesota office tower, captivating public
- Tesla laying off 9 percent of workforce
- Justify wins Belmont to become 13th Triple Crown champion
- Uber and Lyft looking to start offering electric scooter services
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy rejects PM Modi’s fitness challenge, see his reply