Police also released this footage of Sergent Anthony Mannino stopping his patrol vehicle and running after the toddler on Route 59, before picking him up to comfort him.
But as he drew closer, he realized it was a 1-year-old boy running along the highway's right lane, just steps away from passing cars. The 1-year-old was running alongside traffic, including large trucks whizzing by at unsafe speeds. The Naperville, Illinois Police Department awarded Mannino for his life-saving actions. Mannino parked his cruiser to block traffic, then ran to the little boy who was eventually reunited with his mother.More news: Raccoon scales Minnesota office tower, captivating public
A heroic police officer rescued a child wandering in the middle of a highway in IL.
"You're OK. You're OK", said Mannino, when he caught up to the boy. Mannino then alerts dispatch that he has him and would begin searching for his parents.More news: Ireland: Polish man Mikolaj Wilk murdered in home invasion, partner seriously injured
Police said on Facebook that the boy escaped his mother's watchful eye and left his house - he was fortunately not hurt. Police ruled the incident an accident.More news: Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld says he could stay amid Manchester United links
- Angelina Jolie could lose primary custody of kids with Brad Pitt
- Trump critic Mark Sanford falls in South Carolina GOP primary
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Officially Passes $2 Billion at the Box Office
- Justify wins Belmont to become 13th Triple Crown champion
- N-Out Texas locations temporarily close
- Dennis Rodman broke down in tears talking about North Korea-US situation
- Former UNI player Nick Nurse becoming Toronto Raptors' head coach
- How to pre-register for The Elder Scrolls: Blades
- North Korea Summit: Best Donald Trump & Kim Jong-un Memes
- Trump signs `comprehensive document' with Kim as summit ends