"Recovery went well and I knew in the final I needed to wait a bit, the past few days I went too early and I needed to wait, wait, wait, bide my time and kick for the line", he said.
Martin slipped down general standings after his team lost time on stage three, but a second-place finish on Thursday's climbing stage, a stage victory on Friday after a well executed attack and today's performance has seen the 31-year-old turn his fortunes right around.
Yates said: "The Tour de France has been my main goal for the whole season".More news: Nebraska woman and her boyfriend charged with Sydney Loofe's murder
"Each kilometre I was more confident and happier".
"It's been two back-to-back hard stages", he added. "I'm not one to hold a grudge but I also certainly won't forget it". So today I made a decision to wait.
"Hopefully the authorities can just get their act together and have a decision, but I've got 100 per cent faith in him".More news: Ubisoft's psychological thriller Transference ditches VR requirement, is coming this fall
Daniel Navarro (Cofidis) had looked set for a solo victory, as the last remaining escapee from the day's break - spending 105km of the 136km stage at the front of the race - but Yates swept past him to grab the seventh pro win of his career.
Sir Bradley Wiggins won the race for a second time in 2012 before going on to become the first British victor of the Tour, while Froome has won it on four occasions, each time going on to claim the yellow jersey in Paris.
Thomas took overall honours by 1:00 from Yates with Bardet 1:47 back in this tune-up for the Tour de France, which gets under way on July 7.
Navarro finished second on Sunday, with Bardet completing the podium.More news: Klopp to reassess goalkeeper plans as Liverpool concede defeat over Alisson
- Mother issues warning after MS girl diagnosed with ‘tick paralysis’
- Kylian Mbappe breaks silence on injury scare ahead of World Cup
- Dem lawmakers seek criminal corruption probe of EPA's Pruitt
- Man behind Fyre Festival disaster busted for scamming attendees - again
- Former hero Ronaldo backs Brazil to end 16-year wait in Russia
- Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who shot club patron while breakdancing charged with assault
- Dixons Carphone reveals it has uncovered unauthorised access of customer’s data
- Anthony Bourdain’s ex-wife shares photo of ‘strong and brave’ daughter
- 13-Year-Old Courtney Hadwin Gets Golden Buzzer on 'America's Got Talent'
- Wendy's, Denny's and more trolling IHOP over burger announcement