Johnson used his nine-iron on the last hole and promptly sunk a shot from the fairway for an eagle.
Johnson also had a 63 in the second round of the World Golf Championships-HSBC last October to kick off this season. Check out his shot below.
"What a cool way to end the day to hole that shot on 18", Johnson said. Johnson said. "I don't know why it hasn't happened but the US Open is a tough, tough place to go and win".More news: Moment SNP MPs Storm Out Of PMQs After Row With The Speaker
Putnam s challenge wilted after a disastrous double-bogey on the par-four first which left Johnson with sole possession of the lead.
Winning the tournament would take Johnson back ahead of Justin Thomas as world number one going into the US Open and his efforts earned him a one-shot lead over fellow Americans Ryan Blaum and Andrew Putnam.
J.B Holmes shot a 67 on Sunday to finish a distant third at 9 under, with Stewart Cink (72) and Richy Werenski (71) ending up tied for fourth another stroke in arrears. "For me, playing the way I did all week, playing the way I did today knowing everything that was on the line, gives me a lot of confidence going into next week".
Brooks Koepka, a week before defending his U.S. Open title, carded 69 to slip five strokes behind, while Phil Mickelson (70) fell six adrift.More news: Love Island viewers think they know exactly why Niall left the villa
Putnam, who has never won on the PGA Tour, matched the best round of his short career on Saturday and was delighted talking to the media after his round. "I just need to go out there and have a good mind-set and just get ready for the weekend for the final couple of groups". Johnson had a 65 to match Putnam at 15-under 195 and said he's in great position going into Sunday.
"I'm glad it over, for sure", Johnson said.
Johnson's final shot on the 18th hole was the final impressive shot in a tournament full of him.
Five-time major victor Phil Mickelson, trying to build momentum for a run at the US Open title that has so long eluded him, followed up his first-round 66 with an even par 70. He holed out from the right front bunker for birdie on the par-5 No. 16. He squared two bogey-5 at 10 and 18 (tee ball in the water), outpaced by six birdies at 11, 12, 15, 17, 3 and 8.More news: G-7 summit with Trump was a ‘sobering’ experience, Merkel says
- Google Removes the Option of Installing Chrome Extensions via Remote Sites
- KKR Nears Agreement to Acquire Envision for about $5.5B
- Geraint Thomas wins the Criterium du Dauphine ahead of Adam Yates
- NBA Draft: Should Cleveland Cavaliers trade up to draft Luka Doncic?
- Dem lawmakers seek criminal corruption probe of EPA's Pruitt
- Californians to vote in November on breaking into 3 separate states
- Bulls to open summer league play July 7
- Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who shot club patron while breakdancing charged with assault
- Mother issues warning after MS girl diagnosed with ‘tick paralysis’
- Trump wants to stop provocative 'war games' with South Korea