A controversial plan to split the Golden State into three separate states qualified for the November 6th ballot.
Getting an initiative on a November 2016 ballot required about 808,000 signatures.
California's secretary of State will officially certify the initiative to be included in the General Election ballot later this month. Even if voters decide Draper's idea is a good one, there hasn't been a breakup of a state since the Civil War.More news: Dem lawmakers seek criminal corruption probe of EPA's Pruitt
According to Draper, the most populous USA state and the world's fifth-largest economy is "nearly ungovernable" under the current system. Supporters of the initiative argue the state isn't fairly represented with senators in Washington.
The proposal was spearheaded by a venture capitalist who says regional communities would function better.
"The California state government isn't too big to fail, because it is already failing its citizens in so many crucial ways", Citizens for Cal 3 campaign spokeswoman Peggy Grande said in a Tuesday statement.
A California split is a long shot, to say the least.More news: Kylian Mbappe breaks silence on injury scare ahead of World Cup
California gets 55 electors in the Electoral College - a powerful number that has been a huge unmovable bloc for the Democratic candidate. Three smaller states would change that equation, which worries some Democrats.
The plan would create three differently sized regions, but all would have roughly the same population.
Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Tulare counties.
Northern Californians looking to run away from Sacramento and San Francisco to join the state of Jefferson will be severely disappointed as the proposal draws the line for Northern California all the way past the current state capital. He bankrolled efforts in 2012 and 2014 to divide the region into six different Californias, spending around $5 million in his most recent endeavor.More news: Toddlers are eating too much sugar: CDC study
- Mother issues warning after MS girl diagnosed with ‘tick paralysis’
- Google Removes the Option of Installing Chrome Extensions via Remote Sites
- Net neutrality is no more. Here's what that means
- Toyota makes record $1 billion investment in ride-hailing firm Grab
- G-7 summit with Trump was a ‘sobering’ experience, Merkel says
- Moment SNP MPs Storm Out Of PMQs After Row With The Speaker
- Man behind Fyre Festival disaster busted for scamming attendees - again
- White House Seeks to Block Senate Bid to Kill ZTE Deal
- Trump wants to stop provocative 'war games' with South Korea
- President Trump Is Still Very Angry With Canada's PM Justin Trudeau