His original attorneys, including a Washington-based partner and a New York-based partner from the large firm McDermott Will & Emery, have not yet told the judge overseeing his case in NY, where Cohen is challenging prosecutors' ability to see all the documents they seized.
Roughly 3.7 million files were seized in the Cohen raid and are being reviewed to determine which ones may be subject to attorney-client privilege.More news: Italy acting with 'cynicism' toward migrant ship: French government spokesman
Any cooperation by Cohen with prosecutors would represent a significant blow to Trump, whose campaign is under investigation for alleged collusion with Russian Federation and who regularly expresses acute frustration with investigators.
It wasn't immediately clear what prompted the change or who would take over.
Daniels' lawyer, Michael Avenatti, who is suing him in an attempt to get the actress released from a confidentiality agreement, gloated over the news in a tweet.More news: Federal Reserve raises interest rates
Cohen, ABC News reported, is no longer represented by Stephen Ryan and Todd Harrison of the Washington and NY firm McDermott, Will & Emery, and no replacement has been identified.
The report also seems to confirm recent fears expressed by Trump's allies, as sources told the network that Cohen is now likely to cooperate with prosecutors. CNN reports Cohen has hired a new lawyer, but not said who. The search warrant for the raid originated from a referral by special counsel Robert Mueller, according to the Times.
"It's an attack on our country in a true sense". "Trump should be super anxious about Michael Cohen", a former White House official said. "That is really now on a whole new level of unfairness". Cohen is under investigation for bank fraud and violating campaign-finance law.More news: Moment SNP MPs Storm Out Of PMQs After Row With The Speaker
- Italian court convicts man over kidnap of model
- Theresa May avoids Commons defeat after Brexit climbdown
- Verstappen Sweeps Practice Rounds Ahead of Canadian GP Qualifying
- Californians to vote in November on breaking into 3 separate states
- Why LeBron James to the Boston Celtics makes too much sense
- NBA Draft: Should Cleveland Cavaliers trade up to draft Luka Doncic?
- White House aide apologises over ‘special place in hell’ comment
- Trump Slams Robert De Niro as 'A Very Low IQ Individual'
- Trump wants to stop provocative 'war games' with South Korea
- G-7 summit with Trump was a ‘sobering’ experience, Merkel says