That initial victor was Andrew Garfield, taking home the award for best actor in a play as Prior Walter in the revival of "Angels in America", Tony Kushner's groundbreaking epic of gay rights in Reagan-era America.
While many Tony Awards audience members showed their support for De Niro, some celebs were critical of the remarks on social media.
"Bruce, you can rock the house like nobody else", he said.More news: Apple Updates App Store Guidelines, Tightens Rules for Crypto-Related Apps
The Band's Visit won a whopping ten awards total-in fact, the only award it lost was Scenic Design.
It lost just one category among its 11 nominations, with its 10 wins just two shy of the record for any show set by "The Producers".
The man behind Angels in America, legendary playwright Tony Kushner, spoke to reporters backstage about De Niro's spirited introduction for Springsteen, the AP reported.
"Our country is led by a president who believes he can make up his own truth".More news: Net Neutrality Repeal Ends Chances of Regulations
"Harry Potter", a record-setting $69 million two-part production set 19 years after the last of J.K. Rowling's best-selling novels about the boy wizard, won a total of six Tonys including best new play and best director.
There may not be any angels in America, but according to De Niro there's at least one devil.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play: Laurie Metcalf, "Three Tall Women".
The brief, nearly token, insult provoked a disproportionately strong reaction from the audience at New York's Radio City Music Hall.More news: Burger joints start social "beef" with "IHOB"
- White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow suffers heart attack, Trump says
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation in crisis as Donald Trump lashes out at key allies
- The Trump administration will stop granting asylum to domestic abuse victims
- Trump says Larry Kudlow suffers a heart attack
- E3 2018: Just Cause 4 Gameplay Trailer Introduces Extreme Weather, More
- "Fair trade now fool trade", Trump vents anger on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, Trudeau
- Canada Responds After White House Says Trudeau 'Stabbed Us In The Back'
- Kim Jong Un goes for surprise nighttime walk ahead of summit
- Missing Air Force officer found 35 years later
- Trump tweeting about G-7 before Kim meeting