An eruption at Kilauea summit jolted the area Wednesday with the force of a 5.4 magnitude natural disaster and hurled an ash plume that reached 10,000 feet above sea level.
Ige and Kim also announced the formation of a federal, state and local task force that would develop a recovery plan for the hardest-hit communities.More news: Missing Air Force officer found 35 years later
Lava completely covered the Big Island's Vacationland neighborhood, destroying hundreds of homes and pouring into the Kapoho Bay, where it formed at least 0.8 miles of land that juts into the sea, the Associated Press reports.
"Our responsibility is to try to work with the community to rebuild out of harm's way", Kim said.
Also present at the press conference, Hawaii Governor David Ige said state will allocate 12 million USA dollars to help respond to the eruption, covering expenses ranging from overtime work to food and equipment. Most recently, a huge river of lava has engulfed two entire seaside subdivisions - Vacationland and Kapoho Beach Lots. "Don't forget the farmers, don't forget the ranchers, don't forget all the employees for them".More news: Kim Jong Un goes for surprise nighttime walk ahead of summit
US Geological Survey officials say the flow was still very active and there is no way of knowing when the eruption will end or whether more lava-spewing vents could open. A plume of toxic volcanic lava haze, called laze, stretched for miles.
This helicopter footage shot on the morning of June 6 shows the new lava delta and clouds of steam, hydrochloric acid gas and volcanic glass shards rising from where lava made contact with the sea.
Frequent earthquakes, mostly of relatively small magnitude but numbering in the thousands, have persisted throughout the eruption, adding to the jitters of residents living closest to the volcano.More news: Elon Musk’s flamethrowers hit eBay with sky-high resale prices
In addition to property damage, the eruption has severed highways, knocked out power and telephone services and shut down a geothermal plant that usually provides about a quarter of the island's power.
- The Trump administration will stop granting asylum to domestic abuse victims
- Burger joints start social "beef" with "IHOB"
- Detroit Pistons Name Dwane Casey as Head Coach
- Apple Updates App Store Guidelines, Tightens Rules for Crypto-Related Apps
- Biggest announcements from EA at E3 ft. Federation Internationale de Football Association 19, Anthem and more
- Trump says Larry Kudlow suffers a heart attack
- "Fair trade now fool trade", Trump vents anger on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, Trudeau
- Trump SLAMS Canada’s Trudeau Over G7 Comments — ARCTIC BLAST
- Wendy's had a savage response to the IHOb name change
- White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow suffers heart attack, Trump says