The series will be written by Jane Goldman. "And my god, what a talent".
Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin worked with Goldman on the project, but she will serve as showrunner.
It will chronicle the world's descent from the golden age of heroes to its darkest hour, according to HBO. Martin has offered another clue about the story by pitching his own suggestion for what the show ought to be called.More news: Canada Responds After White House Says Trudeau 'Stabbed Us In The Back'
Last year, it emerged that there were several shows in development that were vying to become the direct successor shows to HBO and Sky Atlantic's mega-successful Game Of Thrones.
Well, we've got good news for those of you who are, HBO has ordered the pilot for a prequel series!
"The long night" is how the characters in Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire typically refer to the White Walkers' first appearance, thousands of years back in their fictional history.More news: Missing Air Force officer found 35 years later
Very true. In previous years, Martin had taken up the practice of writing episodes of Game of Thrones, but as The Winds of Winter has fallen behind, he's taken a backseat, opting not to script any episodes in the seasons. Sounds pleasant! Just kidding - it sounds bleak and emotionally crushing, just like Game of Thrones. They remain in "active development", and he indicates that they "could film at least one more pilot, and maybe more than one, in the years to come". "But this is television, so nothing is certain".
As he says, "Work on Winds of Winter continues, and remains my top priority". It is ridiculous to think otherwise. He continued, "If I wasn't busy with Winds, don't you think I'd be scripting one or more of these pilots myself?"
Martin's newest book, Fire & Blood, is due out this November.More news: 1 killed, 2 injured in stabbing incident on Japan's Shinkansen bullet train
- Trump Kim summit: Face-to-face
- NYCFC hires Man City assistant to replace Vieira
- Calum MacLeod hammers fastest ODI hundred for Scotland, shatters records
- Apple Updates App Store Guidelines, Tightens Rules for Crypto-Related Apps
- Intercontinental Cup: Sunil Chhetri’s India seek crowning glory, Kenya stand in way
- Trump predicts 'terrific relationship' with Kim Jong Un as historic summit begins
- Liverpool target Alisson Becker wants future resolved before World Cup starts
- Wendy's had a savage response to the IHOb name change
- Surprise! Ariana Grande and 'SNL' Star Pete Davidson Are Engaged
- U.S. hits five Russian firms with sanctions, citing cyberattacks