There were no air conditioning vents in the back of the vehicle and the children told police they became hot. It was 95 degrees outside.
They said she admitted to driving from Whitehaven to Collierville with her two grandchildren who sat in kennels in the back of her truck, reports CBS affiliate WREG-TV of Memphis.More news: Daughter of US Envoy to Russia Apologizes for Calling Trump, Kim 'Dictators'
Cheeks is being charged with child endangerment, while police and Child Services continue their investigations. "For them to be in the hot auto like that in cages is sad", neighbor Nikita Blake said.
In the video, a child is seen climbing out of the trunk of the vehicle from the kennel. She's such a nice lady, " neighbor Skylark Blake said.
A concerned citizen shot the video and forwarded it to the police. I only met her like once maybe twice.More news: Royal Wedding: What Prince Harry whispered to Meghan REVEALED
Neighbors of Leimome Cheeks expressed shock, saying she was a 'very nice woman'. Something is going on with her. "It's a huge mistake, get some help yeah but put her in jail, it's hard to say", Skylarr Blake said.
She also drove to downtown Memphis, telling police she made stops to check on them periodically.
Strangely enough, there is little information available on the relations between Cheeks and the children, aged 7 and 8-years-old. Their grandmother is scheduled to be in court Monday morning at 9 a.m.More news: E3 2018: Doom Eternal Announced with Hellishly Good Teaser
- Italy and Malta refuse to dock migrant ship carrying 629 people
- North Korea leader Kim arrives in Singapore ahead of Trump meeting
- $315M Powerball Jackpot victor comes forward
- Escalating Clash With Canada, Trump Is Isolated Before North Korea Meeting
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood passes the Nazi-killing baton to BJ's twin daughters
- EA Announces Origin Access Premier
- Kudlow Blames Trudeau for ‘Betrayal’ Before North Korea Talks
- Gears 5 Announced at Microsoft’s Press Conference
- Trump admin: We won't defend Obamacare
- Iraqi ballot box storage site catches fire in Baghdad