The U.S. State Department said on Wednesday it has brought a group of diplomats home from Guangzhou, China, over concern they were suffering from a mysterious malady that resembles a brain injury and has already affected U.S. personnel in Cuba.
"The State Department received medical confirmation that a US government employee in China suffered a medical incident consistent with what other USA government personnel experienced in Havana, Cuba", it said in an emailed statement.
The two new individuals removed from Cuba were medically evaluated in just the past few weeks, two officials said.
A previous statement in May only mentioned the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou as the location for the health alert, though it was sent to USA citizens throughout the country.
However, he indicated that the precise nature of the health problems has not been determined nor it is known if there is a common cause for the cases registered in the Caribbean island or in China.More news: Sanjeev Kapoor on Anthony Boudain's death
The incident rattled U.S. -Cuba relations, but the occurrence of similar symptoms in China has raised suspicions about whether China, Russia, or another country might be to blame.
USA officials said Friday that they had pulled two workers from Cuba and were testing them for possible brain injury.
Americans are advised to move to another location and refrain from trying to locate and identify the source of the auditory sensation and to seek medical help if they experience similar symptoms. The symptoms included dizziness, nausea, headaches, hearing loss, and inability to concentrate.
If confirmed by doctors to have the same condition, the two individuals would mark the 25th and 26th confirmed patients from the freakish incidents in Cuba that were first disclosed past year and have been deemed "specific attacks" by the US government.
Asked about the latest incidents, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Thursday that the USA had not formally raised the matter with Beijing.More news: Chinas export growth steady in May
Last month, the US State Department urged its staff in China to alert them to any abnormal hearing or vision issues after an employee reported mystery symptoms.
Recall that from China sent several American diplomats and their family members to undergo medical examinations.
"If the U.S. makes formal contact with us, China will continue necessary investigations in an earnest and responsible manner and maintain close communication and cooperation with the U.S.", Hua said at a regularly scheduled news conference.
In 2017 in Cuba at least 22 American diplomat and their family members have suffered as a result of the mysterious "acoustic attack".More news: Kia recalls over 500K vehicles due to faulty air bags
- Another lottery ticket worth $500000 sold in Thunder Bay
- Kudlow Blames Trudeau for ‘Betrayal’ Before North Korea Talks
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus pips iPhone X to become best-selling smartphone
- Man detained after NYC pizza delivery granted emergency stay
- CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077 gets an incredible first trailer
- Nadal - The King of Clay- Wins 11th French Open Title
- 'Judy Moody' Actor Jackson Odell Dead at 20
- Nylon Calculus: Kevin Durant makes the impossible look easy
- Escalating Clash With Canada, Trump Is Isolated Before North Korea Meeting
- Rafael Nadal beats Dominic Thiem for 11th French Open title