It was put in place by the Obama Administration but President Trump made a decision to scrap the rule in December. But now there are fewer rules governing how internet service providers can operate.More news: More evacuations as Durango blaze grows
Last month, FCC chairman Ajit Pai said the retraction of net neutrality rules was needed to remove needless and onerous regulations.
Pai says he believes the net neutrality rules adopted during the Obama administration discourage internet providers from making investments in their network to provide better, faster online access.More news: Facebook Shared User Data With Select Companies
"Those "fast lanes" will put those who won't or can not pay in the slow lane, making the internet look a lot like cable TV", said Gigi Sohn, a former counselor for the FCC. That decision goes into effect Monday, shifting the authority for policing the broadband industry to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Net neutrality rules were created for two reasons.
Pai argues that the FTC is better equipped to handle the job, but Democrats and net neutrality supporters say that the absence of the rules will give companies like Verizon and Comcast the ability to discriminate against certain websites or boost ones that they're affiliated with. It will head to the State Assembly, where hearings will begin in June and must be voted on by the end of August. Getting the House to vote on the matter requires a special discharge petition to be signed since House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) does not support the motion. Per the net neutrality order, states can not enact any legislation that attempts to circumvent the repeal. Several states, including New Jersey, Washington, Oregon and California, have gone so far as to push legislation to enforce the principles of net neutrality within their borders.More news: First lady attends annual Ford's Theatre gala in Washington
Ultimately, the FCC said these lawsuits and executive orders will not stop the repeal of the rules.
- Air Force officer missing for 35 years found living in California
- The Awesome Development of Captain Spirit [E3 2018] [ESRB]
- Jump Force Unites Goku, Naruto & Luffy in Epic Brawl
- Trump lashes out at USA allies in Twitter rant
- Prince George pictured playing with a toy gun and people aren't happy
- Donald Trump 'optimistic' ahead of one-on-one talks with Kim Jong
- Twitter reacts to news of Anthony Bourdain’s death
- Liverpool Announce Emre Can And Jon Flanagan Will Leave Club
- Projectile launched by Yemeni rebels kills 3 in Saudi Arabia
- Blackberry Key2 is out: 52 Keys more than promised